India trying to repatriate body of killed fishermanJuly 17th, 2012 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) India is trying for the early repatriation of the body of a fisherman killed in firing from a US ship off the UAE coast, an official said Tuesday.
In a tweet, external affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said that India’s consulate in Dubai is “pursuing efforts for early repatriation of the body of Indian national who died in tragic incident in Gulf”.
An Indian national was killed and three other Indians injured when personnel on board the USNS Rappahannock, a fuel re-supply ship, opened fire on a small motor vessel near Jebel Ali port Monday evening.
Akbaruddin also tweeted that ministry officials are in touch with the family of the killed Indian to convey their condolences.
In another post, he said that India’ acting consul general in Dubai has met with the injured Indians and assured all help.
Earlier, India has said it will initiate appropriate action in the shooting incident.
The US also Tuesday conveyed its condolences to the families of the killed Indian and those injured and said it is probing the Monday evening incident.
The US ship opened fire Monday evening on a fishing boat as the latter “ignored the warnings and came too close”, Xinhua quoted sources as saying.
- India plans action over fisherman killing by US warship (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- India plans action over fisherman killing by US warship (Second Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- India for probe into US deadly attack on fishermen off Dubai (Roundup) - Jul 17, 2012
- UAE probes Indian fisherman's killing by US ship (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- US condoles death of Indian fisherman in shooting - Jul 17, 2012
- US ship didn't warn Indian fishermen: Dubai police chief - Jul 19, 2012
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jul 17, 2012
- US Navy ship fires at boat off UAE coast - Jul 17, 2012
- Krishna says UAE probing Indian fisherman's killing - Jul 17, 2012
- US assures India of probe into fisherman's killing - Jul 20, 2012
- US assures transparent probe into fisherman killing - Jul 23, 2012
- Time to frame rules to protect our fisherfolk (Comment) - Jul 23, 2012
- US insists fishing vessel was warned before firing - Jul 18, 2012
- Fisherman killing: India seeks transparent probe from US - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: acting, condolences, consul general, consulate in dubai, external affairs ministry, fisherman, fishing boat, indians, jebel ali port, july 17, ministry officials, motor vessel, New Delhi, repatriation, spokesperson, supply ship, tragic incident, uae, usns, xinhua