India to test submarine launched missile: DRDOFebruary 18th, 2008 - 8:13 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 18 (IANS) India will soon test-fire its indigenously developed submarine launched ballistic missile (SLBM) called Sagarika, a top defence scientist said Monday. “We are ready for test-firing the missile,” Prahlada, the chief controller for R&D of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), told reporters on the sidelines of the ongoing DEFEXPO-2008 international military exhibition here.
However, since the Indian Navy does not have a submarine capable of firing an SLBM, the test firing of the missile on Feb 24-25 will be conducted from an underwater launcher positioned in the Bay of Bengal.
The underwater launcher will be positioned 50 metres deep in the sea and 8 km off the Orissa coast.
Prahlada, who uses only one name, said the DRDO was also readying for a “crucial” test of the 700-km range Sagarika from a submarine.
“We have asked the navy for a submarine to enable us conduct the test,” he said.
However, this could be a while away as Russia is yet to respond to the Indian Navy’s request for loaning an Akula-class submarine that is capable of launching SLBMs. The navy’s Russian-made Kilo-class submarines and the German-designed HDW submarines do not have the capability to fire such missiles.
Sagarika has been test-fired on five previous occasions.
The success achieved last year with exo-atmospheric (outside the atmosphere) and endo-atmospheric (within the atmosphere) anti-ballistic missiles, as also with the surface-to-air Akash missile, has apparently encouraged the DRDO scientists to test the Sagarika.
Powered by a turbojet, the missile can carry a 500-kg payload. It is 8.5 metres long and about a metre in diameter.
- India tests submarine-launched ballistic missile - Feb 26, 2008
- India tests undersea ballistic missile - Feb 26, 2008
- India to test submarine-launched missile - Feb 15, 2008
- India successfully test-fires interceptor missile in Orissa - Jul 26, 2010
- After delays, Scorpene submarine now on track: Navy chief - Dec 02, 2010
- India to re-test ballistic missile defence shield - Apr 11, 2010
- Agni-I missile test-fired off Orissa coast - Nov 25, 2010
- Pak successfully test fires 'Ghauri Hataf-V' ballistic missile - Dec 21, 2010
- Russia test fires new ballistic missile - May 23, 2012
- Russia test-fires ballistic missile - Jul 28, 2011
- India successfully tests Prithvi-II missile (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- India tests Agni-IV n-missile over full range (Third Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Pakistan tests nuclear-capable missile (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Prithvi-II ballistic missile successfully test-fired - Dec 22, 2010
- India, Pakistan successfully test-fire n-capable missiles (Fourth Lead) - Mar 11, 2011