India to talk to British officials in $10bn Eurofighter dealFebruary 22nd, 2008 - 6:07 pm ICT by admin
London, Feb 22 (IANS) The Indian government wants to talk to British rather than German negotiators in discussions on a possible $10 billion deal for the purchase of Eurofighter Tyhoons, a newspaper reported Friday. The Times said the Indian government wanted officials from British Aerospace (BAE) Systems and the British Ministry of Defence (MoD) to take over the negotiations from the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) and the German government.
The Indian Air Force is reported to be considering the Eurofighter as part of a programme to replace 126 Soviet-made jets.
The multi role combat aircraft, which is competing with the US-built F-16, F-18 and the Russian MIG-29 for the IAF order, is manufactured by a consortium of BAE systems (Britain), EADS (Germany and Spain) and Alenia FinMeccanica (Italy).
The Indian government is set to announce a shortlist of candidate aircraft next month and if Eurofighter makes the cut, BAE and the MoD will be asked to step in to continue the talks, replacing the Germans.
Normally, the three companies take turns to negotiate export orders and, at present, EADS Germany is dealing with the Indian government.
The newspaper said if BAE takes over the Eurofighter talks it would confirm India as an important new market for the company.
Mike Turner, the chief executive of BAE, said he expected India to be added to the company’s existing six “home” markets of Britain, the United States, Sweden, Australia, Saudi Arabia and South Africa.
“We are determined to go forward in India and eventually we see it becoming another of our home markets,” Turner added.
The move toward India comes amid reported concern over defence cuts in Britain.
Turner said BAE’s domestic market would see defence projects being delayed as the government imposed budget cuts.
- British defence firm axes 3,000 jobs - Sep 27, 2011
- British defence firm to merge with Franco-German group (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- British defence firm to merge with Dutch group - Sep 13, 2012
- Eurofighter Typhoon to fly at Bangalore air show - Feb 05, 2011
- Eurofighter to quote price for IAF order this month - Jun 09, 2010
- Eurofighter to offer renewed bid for IAF order soon (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
- Eurofighter displays cockpit demonstrator at Berlin air show - Jun 09, 2010
- Italy to mount trade charm offensive in India - Oct 28, 2011
- British firm mulls price cut for Indian defence order - Feb 07, 2012
- PM heading to Berlin, Germany to pitch for Eurofighter - Nov 25, 2010
- Eurofighter Typhoon targets 300 additional orders in next 20 years - Feb 12, 2010
- Deepak Parekh on BAE Systems' India Advisory Board - Jul 01, 2010
- Manmohan, Hollande talk India's $20-bn plane deal - Jun 20, 2012
- India opens combat plane tender bids; cost to go up - Nov 04, 2011
- German chancellor pitches for Eurofighter Typhoon - May 31, 2011