India to review disaster preparedness before monsoonMay 27th, 2008 - 8:55 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) India will Wednesday review ahead of monsoon its preparedness to face natural calamities like cyclones and floods. The home ministry Tuesday said an annual conference of relief commissioners and secretaries of the disaster management department both at the state and central levels will be held here Wednesday.
Several central ministries, departments and organisations, which perform emergency support functions in the wake of natural calamities, will participate in the conference, which will be presided over by Home Secretary Madhukar Gupta.
The meeting comes ahead of the expected onset of the southwest monsoon that brings rain to all parts of the country.
The southwest monsoon is on schedule and is expected to hit Kerala by Thursday.
- Strengthen disaster warning mechanism: Home secretary - May 28, 2012
- Be prepared for any monsoon disaster, states told (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Be prepared for any monsoon disaster, states asked - May 26, 2011
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala three days before schedule (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Relief Commissioners to meet today to review monsoon preparedness - May 28, 2008
- Kashmir approves disaster management policy - Feb 01, 2012
- Indian equities markets eyes monsoon season - May 15, 2011
- South-West monsoon advances into Karnataka - Jun 06, 2012
- India's monsoon likely to be normal: Deshmukh (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Monsoon hits Kerala Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Maharashtra gets ready to tackle monsoon - May 25, 2012
- Monsoon hits Kerala, IMD says delay is ok (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Pakistan seeks UN help for early weather warning system - Oct 06, 2011
- Indian ship arrives ahead of navy chief's Bangladesh trip - Apr 04, 2011