India to host Bhutan’s royal coupleOctober 13th, 2011 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) India Thursday felicitated Bhutan’s king and queen on their marriage, wishing them health and happiness, and said it looked forward to welcoming the royal couple later this month.
On the occasion of the royal wedding in Bhutan, President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai have conveyed their “heartiest felicitations” to the Himalayan kingdom’s monarch Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuk and Queen Ashi Jetsun Pema.
In his letter, Manmohan Singh said the “government and people of India wish you every happiness and greater peace and prosperity as Bhutan enters a new era in its history.”
In her felicitation message, Patil said India was “greatly looking forward to welcoming the King and the Queen of Bhutan to India later this month on a state visit.”
The Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan Thursday crossed yet another historic milestone as its 31-year-old King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuk entered into a wedlock with his commoner heartthrob, 21-year-old student Jetsun Pema at a lavish ceremony.
The Buddhist marriage rituals were held at the 17th century monastic fortress in Punakha, the former capital of Bhutan, with the Oxford-educated king coming down from his throne to place the crown on the head of the stunning Pema. Punakha is about 80 km from capital Thimphu.
- Oxford-educated Bhutan king weds commoner - Oct 13, 2011
- Oxford-educated Bhutan king weds commoner (Lead) - Oct 13, 2011
- Bhutan's newly-wed royal couple heading to India - Oct 21, 2011
- India rolls out red carpet for Bhutan's royal couple - Oct 24, 2011
- Lawrence School invites Bhutan royals - Oct 21, 2011
- Bhutan king to marry India-educated bride Oct 13 - Sep 16, 2011
- Special train for Bhutan royal couple - Oct 25, 2011
- Greetings from India ring bells at Bhutan's royal wedding - Oct 13, 2011
- Himachal-educated girl to marry Bhutan king - May 22, 2011
- Bhutan King meets President Pratibha Patil in New Delhi - Oct 22, 2010
- India, Bhutan to enhance cooperation in energy sector - Oct 20, 2010
- Bhutan King meets Prime Minister Manmohan Singh - Oct 20, 2010
- Mathai in Thimphu, India highlights special ties - Aug 18, 2011
- Bhutan to help promote tourism in Bihar - May 06, 2011
- Bhutan king arrives in Delhi to boost bilateral ties - Dec 21, 2009
Tags: capital of bhutan, health and happiness, himalayan kingdom, jetsun pema, jigme khesar, king and queen, king and the queen, king jigme, kingdom of bhutan, lavish ceremony, manmohan singh, marriage rituals, mathai, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, queen of bhutan, ranjan, royal couple, royal wedding, thimphu