India to have its own take on the RazziesFebruary 26th, 2009 - 9:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 26 (IANS) In a spin-off from Hollywood’s Golden Raspbery Awards (also known as the Razzies) which recognises the worst in cinema, India will have its own version of the same, Golden Kela Awards, to be held March 7.
Launched by Random magazine, the ceremony will take place here on the same day as the 54th Filmfare Awards 2009 are held in Mumbai.
“The Golden Kela Awards is the first of its kind to be held in India on the lines of the Razzies in America. It’ll be very funny and entertaining for the audience and we hope to make it an annual event just like the one in the West,” Jatin Varma, founder of Random magazine that is launching the award ceremony told IANS.
While Himesh Reshammiya, Hrithik Roshan and Salman Khan to name a few fall in the worst actor category, actresses like Priyanka Chopra, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Kareena Kapoor and Katrina Kaif compete for the worst actress award.
“As compared to Hollywood, Bollywood comes out with a lot of movies annually and not all of these do well. So, we have already made it clear that we are just poking fun at them with no personal remarks,” Varma said.
The Indian version will also be honouring comedian Jaspal Bhatti, who is also the “Godfather of the ceremony” with the lifetime achievement Kela award.
Varma was, however, not deterred by the missing celebrity quotient from Golden Kela.
“We have invited the celebrities but we haven’t heard from them yet. We might get overshadowed by the Filmfare Awards this time but we will still have a lot of humour quotient and stand-up comedians to spice up the ceremony,” he said.
“Our celebrity quotient might be a bit less but hopefully we will have celebrities themselves attending the awards in the coming years to receive their trophies themselves just like in the West,” he added.
The categories and the nominees have been selected by the editorial board of the magazine and will be selected via an online poll for the public on the website www.goldenkela.in
- Shah Rukh, Sonam named worst actors at Golden Kela Awards - Mar 13, 2011
- Abhishek receives metallic banana statuette for worst accent - Apr 09, 2010
- Harman, Kareena named worst actors at Golden Kela awards - Mar 13, 2010
- Celebrities should support Bollywood's Razzies: Cyrus Broacha - Feb 26, 2011
- Sonam, Ajay nominated for Golden Kela Award - Dec 22, 2011
- Sly, Denise Richards nominated for "Kela" awards for worst in Bollywood - Feb 23, 2010
- It's an art to smile at failure: Cyrus Broacha - Mar 12, 2010
- Imran, Deepika win worst actors Golden Kela - Apr 01, 2012
- Abhishek Bachchan 'overjoyed' with worst accent award - Mar 13, 2010
- Check Out Hollywood's Worst Actors Nominees At The Razzie Awards - Jan 25, 2011
- 'Eclipse', 'The Last Airbender' up for nine Razzies - Jan 25, 2011
- Sandler best amongst worst: Gets 11 Razzies nominations - Feb 26, 2012
- Sandler worse amongst worst: Gets 11 Razzies nominations (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Winners List for the Razzie Awards 2011 - Feb 28, 2011
- The annual Razzies shortlist announced - Jan 07, 2011