India to have investment agreement with LatviaMay 9th, 2008 - 5:03 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 9 (IANS) The government Friday paved the way for greater flow of investments between India and Latvia granting approval to the inking of a bilateral investment promotion protection agreement. A meeting of the cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, approved the signing of the agreement and its ratification thereafter.
“The conclusion of a bilateral investment promotion protection agreement with the Republic of Latvia and the ratification of the agreement will increase investment between the two countries,” Finance Minister P. Chidambaram told reporters after the meeting.
“The agreement will further boost economic and trade co-operation between the two countries,” Chidambaram said.
Latvia, a small country with a population of 2.6 million in northern Europe, has a good trading relationship with India exporting several commodities like metal and metal products, products of chemical industries, raw hides, fur skins, machinery and mechanical appliances.
Latvia imports prepared foodstuffs, products of chemical and allied industries, textiles and textile articles, and vegetable products from India.
India already has an agreement with Latvia on trade and economic co-operation and the two countries signed in 1993 a memorandum of understanding on the counter-trade and banking arrangements.
There is also a declaration of principles and directions of co-operation between Latvia and India as also a separate agreement on economic and technical co-operation between the two countries.
The two countries signed an agreement June 2001 on the inter-governmental commission on trade, economic, scientific, technological and cultural co-operation.
- India, Malaysia implement trade pact - Jun 30, 2011
- CII welcomes India-Japan comprehensive economic partnership agreement - Feb 16, 2011
- India, Zimbabwe to deepen investment, trade ties - Sep 21, 2011
- India-Sri Lanka CEOs Forum to hold first meet Saturday - Aug 03, 2012
- $189 mn of China's imports MoUs between Indian and Chinese firms - Aug 27, 2012
- India, Canada to energise ties, fast-track nuclear deal - Sep 11, 2012
- India, Bangladesh sign trade pact, pledge to fight terror - Jul 07, 2011
- US-India trade group pushes for BIT - Jun 26, 2012
- Kenya eyes bilateral deals with China - Jul 17, 2012
- Chinese envoy speaks peace a day after Indian missile test - Apr 20, 2012
- India, Japan implement economic pact; aim to double trade (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Indonesia invites Indian investments in infrastructure - Jul 16, 2011
- India to help Cambodia to build human resources - Sep 14, 2010
- India, Myanmar must conclude banking cooperation deal: CII - Nov 07, 2011
- Argentina buys Indian pharma products worth $200 million - May 04, 2011