India to express concern to Pakistan on minorities’ plightMay 17th, 2012 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 17 (IANS) India will convey its concern to Pakistan over the plight of its Hindu minorities when External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna visits the neighbouring country soon, parliament was told Thursday
Krishna, in reply to a short duration discussion in the Rajya Sabha on the normalisation of relations with Pakistan and issues relating to the human rights violations of minorities there, said he will personally convey the concerns of the house and the people of India on the attacks, kidnappings and conversion of Hindu minorities in the neighbouring country.
“We will certainly do,” the minister told the house when Bharatiya Janata Party member Ravi Shankar Prasad wanted to know if India will convey its concern on the plight of minorities in Pakistan, as it did in the case of Tamil minorities in Sri Lanka.
“I am going to Pakistan.. it is on the cards. I certainly will convey the sentiments of this house. I will personally convey it to my counterpart,” Krishna assured the members.
Describing the issue of minorities’ plight in Pakistan as a “sensitive and delicate” issue, particularly since it is about a neighbouring nation with whom India wishes cordial bilateral relations, the minister said the government “does share the concern and anguish” of the people, particularly the Indian citizens from the northern states of India.
- 'China cannot be a factor in India-Pakistan dialogue' - Jun 22, 2011
- Talks made some headway, terror biggest obstacle: India (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- BJP to demand debate on plight of Pakistan's Hindus - May 03, 2012
- India asks Pakistan to ensure protection of minorities - May 09, 2012
- Lok Sabha airs concern over Pakistan Hindus' plight - Aug 13, 2012
- India conveys concern to US over protectionism - May 08, 2012
- Lanka 'war crimes': India cautious, trying for a forward-looking outcome - Mar 14, 2012
- Not changed stand on justice for 26/11: India - Apr 14, 2011
- India, Pakistan to stay engaged, terror biggest obstacle (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2010
- Krishna thanks Pakistan for help to Indian passengers - Jul 10, 2012
- India's interests shaping its foreign policy: Krishna (Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- Don't expect big solutions with Pakistan, says Krishna - Jun 25, 2012
- 'Major strides in reducing trust deficit with Pakistan' - Mar 09, 2012
- India asks Pakistan for 26/11 trial closure, agrees on cross-Kashmir CBMs (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2011
- India welcomes Pakistan's move towards MFN - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: anguish, bilateral relations, delicate issue, external affairs minister, hindu minorities, human rights violations, indian citizens, janata party, kidnappings, krishna, minorities in pakistan, neighbouring country, normalisation, northern states, party member, plight, prasad, rajya sabha, ravi shankar, states of india