India to develop medium combat aircraft with stealth featuresFebruary 13th, 2009 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Feb 13 (IANS) After the light combat aircraft (LCA) Tejas, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) plans to develop a medium combat aircraft (MCA) with “stealth features” and an unmanned combat aircraft vehicle (UCAV).
The Aeronautics Development Agency (ADA) of the DRDO, which developed the LCA with the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, will develop the MCA with the Indian Air Force.
“We feel confident that after the LCA it will be the MCA and followed by the UCAV,” M. Natarajan, DRDO chief and scientific adviser to the defence minister, told reporters at the 7th edition of the international air show Aero India-2009 in Yelahanka, on the outskirts of this city.
The twin engine MCA will weigh 19-20 tonnes.
“It is possible to have an MCA with a twin engine, with less weight and improved electronics. It will also have an inbuilt weapon load for stealth reasons. It is doable and it is a challenge,” said Natarajan.
The DRDO is also planning a twin-seater trainer variant of the LCA, which for the first time performed manoeuvres at the air show.
“We will have an air force LCA, naval LCA and LCA twin seater trainer. Five to 10 years down the line, the role of the (LCA) trainers will be superior to the hawks (advanced jet trainers acquired from Britain),” Natarajan added.
The IAF has placed an order for 20 Tejas lightweight multi-role planes, India’s second indigenous fighter aircraft, and may increase the number to 40.
- India to flaunt indigenous fighter at aero show - Feb 07, 2011
- India's indigenous fighter to soar high at aero show (Lead, With Images) - Feb 07, 2011
- India's Tejas, light combat helicopter dazzle participants at Aero India - Feb 09, 2011
- Advanced version of indigenous combat jet by 2015 - Feb 09, 2011
- IAF wants more improvements in Tejas: Antony - Feb 07, 2011
- India to form indigenous Tejas fighter squadron by 2013 (Lead, with Images) - Jan 10, 2011
- India to test fly naval combat fighter by year-end (Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
- South Asia's largest aero show takes off Wednesday - Feb 08, 2011
- India's own first supersonic fighter Tejas to join Air Force today - Jan 10, 2011
- India test flies naval variant of LCA (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- India's own fighter jet Tejas to join air force Monday - Jan 09, 2011
- India's own first supersonic fighter Tejas handed to Air Force - Jan 10, 2011
- India unveils LCA at R-Day parade - Jan 26, 2011
- India's fighter jet will be reality at last: Antony - Feb 02, 2010
- 'Decision on $10.4 bn combat jet order likely by September' - Feb 10, 2011