India test-fires submarine missile from land (Second Lead)November 12th, 2008 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
Balasore (Orissa), Nov 12 (IANS) India Wednesday test-fired a submarine ballistic missile (SLBM) from land for the first time, defence sources said. It was test fired successfully from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in the district of Balasore in Orissa, about 230 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
The missile has two stages fitted into its half-metre-wide body. It can carry a payload up to one tonne and has a highest range of 700 km.
The missile had earlier undergone three tests previously in an underwater platform. The Wednesday test was intended to check speed, trajectory, maximum height and other parameters of the missile.
The K-15 missile has a length of around 11 metres, larger than the 8.5-metre-long Prithvi short-range ballistic missile but smaller than the 15-metre-long Agni-1 ballistic missile.
The district administration evacuated temporarily about 3,010 people from about five villages located within the a two-km radius of the defence base hours before the test in the area, district collector A.C. Padhiary told IANS.
- India test fires submarine-launched missile from land (Lead) - Nov 12, 2008
- India tests nuke capable Prithvi II missile - Jun 09, 2011
- India, Pakistan test nuke-tipped missiles on same day (Third Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- India, Pakistan successfully test-fire n-capable missiles (Fourth Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- India successfully test-fires n-capable Prithvi II, Dhanush missiles (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- India successfully tests n-capable Prithvi II, Dhanush missiles (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- 3,000 people evacuated ahead of missile test in Orissa - Nov 12, 2008
- India test-fires medium range Akash missile - May 24, 2012
- India test-fires n-capable 'Shourya' missile - Sep 24, 2011
- Scientists prepare to test submarine-launched missile from land - Nov 11, 2008
- Prithvi-II missile fails to take off - Sep 24, 2010
- India test fires n-capable Prithvi-II missile - Sep 26, 2011
- Prithvi-II ballistic missile successfully test-fired - Dec 22, 2010
- India test-fires Prithvi-II missile - Aug 25, 2012
- India successfully tests missile interceptor - Mar 06, 2011