India test fires Brahmos supersonic missileDecember 18th, 2008 - 7:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 18 (IANS) India Thursday test fired the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, one of the most successful products of India-Russia military joint venture, from a vertical platform in the Bay of Bengal.“The BrahMos Missile has been successfully launched today (Thursday) from a naval warship in the Bay of Bengal. This unique launch has been carried out from a mobile platform and all mission objectives have been met,” a DRDO official said.
This is for the first time that BrahMos has been test fired from a universal vertical launcher fitted in a new ship. All earlier launches of BrahMos missiles had been carried out from inclined launchers.
“It is a significant milestone in view of the fact that most present day ships are today fitted with vertical launchers,” the official said.
The missile has a range of nearly 300 km and carries a conventional warhead of 300 kg. It can achieve speeds of up to 2.8 Mach or nearly three times the speed of sound.
The supersonic missile takes its name from the Brahmaputra and Moskva rivers and can be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or land.
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- India tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile - Mar 30, 2012
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version to begin this year: Russian official - Jun 12, 2011
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
- India successfully tests supersonic cruise missile - Jul 29, 2012
- Indian Army inducts second cruise missile unit close to Pakistan border - Mar 04, 2012
- India successfully tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Successful trial of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile - Aug 12, 2011
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- IAF could soon get supersonic BrahMos missile - Oct 24, 2010
- New version of BrahMos missile tested - Mar 28, 2012
- India successfully tests supersonic cruise missile (Lead) - Mar 21, 2010
- India successfully tests BrahMos (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- BrahMos cruise missile achieves supersonic dive (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2010
- India successfully tests supersonic cruise missile - Mar 21, 2010