India successfully tests nuclear-capable Agni-III missile (Lead)February 7th, 2010 - 2:33 pm ICT by IANS
Bhadrak (Orissa), Feb 7 (IANS) India Sunday successfully tested its indigenous long-range nuclear-capable Agni-III missile, catapulting the country into a select group of nations that have intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM)-capability, defence sources said.
The 3,000-km range missile, which is capable of carrying warheads weighing up to 1.5 tonnes, was tested from the Inner Wheeler Island at Dhamra, a launch site in Bhadrak district, about 200 km from Orissa capital Bhubaneswar, at 10.46 a.m.
“The test was successful,” defence ministry spokesman Sitanshu Kar told IANS.
This is the fourth test of the missile. The first test, from the same defence base on July 9, 2006, was unsuccessful. The second stage of the rocket had failed to separate from the missile quickly enough and the missile had fallen short of its target.
The DRDO-developed missile was tested again on April 12, 2007, and May 9, 2008, respectively and both the tests were successful.
Agni-III, one of the Agni series missiles, is a two-stage solid propellant missile with a length of 17 mt, diameter 2 mt and launch weight of 50 tonnes.
While Agni-I is a 750-800 km short-range missile, Agni-II has a range of more than 1,500 km. Both have already been inducted into the armed forces.
- India tests long-range nuclear-capable Agni-III missile - Feb 07, 2010
- India successfully tests n-capable Agni-III missile (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2010
- India tests Agni-III missile (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- India tests Agni-III missile (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Agni-III successfully test fired, ready for induction (Third Lead) - Feb 07, 2010
- N-capable missiles in India's arsenal [To go with India test-fires 5,000 km Agni-V missile, China cautious (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2012
- India tests Agni-III - Sep 21, 2012
- India tests nuclear capable Agni-II plus missile - Dec 10, 2010
- India successfully tests n-capable Agni-I missile (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- Agni-IV production by 2014 - Nov 16, 2011
- India sucessfully tests nuclear-capable Agni-I missile - Nov 25, 2010
- Agni-II test fired successfully - May 17, 2010
- 'Rocket Woman' propels India's missile mission - Nov 21, 2011
- India tests n-capable Agni II missile (Third Lead) - May 17, 2010
- India tests Agni-IV missile with high accuracy - Nov 15, 2011
Tags: agni iii missile, armed forces, bhubaneswar, capability, defence ministry spokesman, defence sources, diameter, first test, launch, missiles, orissa, range ballistic missile, range missile, second stage, select group, solid propellant, target, tonnes, warheads, wheeler island