India successfully tests BrahMos (Lead)July 29th, 2012 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 29 (IANS) India Sunday successfully test-fired the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from a defence base in Odisha, an official said. It has a range of 290 km and can carry a conventional warhead of up to 300 kg.
The missile was launched from the Integrated Test Range in Chandipur in Balasore district, about 230 km from here. “It was an experimental repeat of a previous version,” M.V.K.V. Prasad, director of the test range, told IANS.
The missile has a top speed of Mach 2.8, which is about three times faster than the US subsonic Tomahawk cruise missile. This makes BrahMos one of the fastest cruise missiles in the world.
The missile can be launched from submarines, ships and aircraft. Sea and ground launched versions of the missile have been successfully tested and put into service with the army and navy.
It was the 32nd flight test of the BrahMos. The latest test was carried out at about 10.30 a.m.
“The objective of the mission was to evaluate some of the newer subsystems which are produced from the Indian industry as part of production stabilisation. More than 25 such systems were incorporated in the development missile”, BrahMos Aerospace spokesperson Praveen Pathak told IANS.
The latest launch was primarily aimed at testing the new power systems, materials for airframe components, guidance scheme and various electric systems. The data obtained from multiple telemetry stations of ITR are being analysed for large scale production by the Indian industries, he added.
- India successfully tests supersonic cruise missile - Jul 29, 2012
- India tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile - Mar 30, 2012
- India successfully tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- New version of BrahMos missile tested - Mar 28, 2012
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- Successful trial of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile - Aug 12, 2011
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version to begin this year: Russian official - Jun 12, 2011
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
- India tests BrahMos cruise missile (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- India successfully tests BrahMos cruise missile (Second Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- India to arm Russia-built jets with BrahMos missiles - Apr 22, 2010
- India, Pakistan successfully test-fire n-capable missiles (Fourth Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- IAF could soon get supersonic BrahMos missile - Oct 24, 2010
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: aerospace, airframe components, army and navy, brahmos, chandipur, conventional warhead, cruise missile, cruise missiles, flight test, itr, launch, mach 2, prasad, previous version, spokesperson, submarines, subsystems, test range, three times, top speed