India, South Africa share cordial relations: Meira KumarJuly 10th, 2012 - 12:48 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 9 (IANS) Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said Monday India and South Africa shared a cordial relationship and working together in various multilateral organisations.
Addressing a 20-member parliamentary delegation from South Africa led by National Assembly Speaker M.V. Sisulu, Meira Kumar noted that India’s father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi and South Africa’s Nelson Mandela have shown great commitment towards world peace.
“While the Mahatma experimented with truth and non-violence on South African soil before implementing it in India, Mandela guided the people to the virtues of freedom and peace,” she said.
Meira Kumar also said the two countries share commonalities at diverse international fora, including the Non-Aligned Movement, and the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) and IBSA (India, Brazil, South Africa) groupings.
She also expressed appreciation for South Africa’s support at the meetings of Nuclear Suppliers Group.
- South African speaker toasts Mandela-Gandhi spirit - Jul 10, 2012
- South Africa to send parliamentary delegation to India - Jul 07, 2012
- India hails the 'century of Asia and Africa' - Sep 23, 2011
- India-Brazil joint commission meet Dec 11-13 - Dec 08, 2011
- Bikers ride with Mandela's message in Delhi - Jul 19, 2012
- BRICS will offer huge opportunities for South Africa: Zuma - Apr 12, 2011
- 21 world leaders visited India this year, more on way - Aug 26, 2012
- IBSA hopes Middle East, north Africa changes will be peaceful - Mar 08, 2011
- Manmohan arrives in Brazil for IBSA, BRIC summits - Apr 15, 2010
- BRICS Summit - Facts at a glance - Mar 28, 2012
- BRIC now becomes BRICS with entry of South Africa: Pranab - Feb 19, 2011
- Gandhi's Tolstoy Farm interpreted on canvas (With Images) - Apr 28, 2011
- BRICS countries continue to enjoy strong, sustained economic growth - Apr 14, 2011
- BRICS can transform global governance: India - Mar 05, 2012
- Cash no problem, consesus is, for BRICS bank - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: assembly speaker, brics, commonalities, cordial relations, cordial relationship, ibsa, india china, india south, international fora, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, multilateral organisations, nation mahatma gandhi, nelson mandela, non aligned movement, nuclear suppliers group, parliamentary delegation, sisulu, south african soil, world peace