India sixth most popular nation in US: GallupMarch 11th, 2008 - 10:30 pm ICT by admin
New York, March 11 (IANS) India is rated as the sixth most popular country in the US while Pakistan and China are placed among the 10 most unpopular countries in a recent survey conducted by Gallup. India was viewed favourably by 69 percent of Americans in the Gallup’s 2008 World Affairs survey of 22 countries released last week. Only 22 percent disfavoured the country, the rest remaining neutral.
Pakistan came out sixth most unfavourable nation with 72 percent of the over 1,000 adult respondents saying they see it negatively, and only 22 percent having a positive view of it.
China fared a little better, with 55 percent viewing it unfavourably and 42 percent having the opposite view.
Canada and Britain topped the list of the most favoured nations with 92 and 89 percent approval rating respectively. They have consistently topped the polls in the past several years, and according to the survey report, the only other country to approach 90 percent favourability over the years has been Australia.
Germany and Japan too were viewed favourably by at least 80 percent of Americans in the new survey.
Iran topped the list of nations with most negative image in America, as almost 88 percent of respondents expressed their dislike of it. North Korea came next on the list with 82 percent disfavouring it.
Others on the unfavourable list included The Palestinian Authority, Iraq and Saudi Arabia, in that order.
Pakistan and Saudi Arabia though counted among US’ closest allies by the administration do not enjoy a favourable image in the American public.
Results are based on telephone interviews conducted Feb 11-14, 2008 by Washington based Gallup.
- India ranks sixth in image rating by Americans - Feb 19, 2010
- Americans view India more favourably than Pakistan in Gallup poll - Feb 20, 2010
- For Pakistanis, India bigger threat than Taliban, Al Qaeda: Survey - Jun 29, 2012
- 10 mn Indians wish to move to US: Gallup poll - Apr 25, 2012
- Most Indians pessimistic about job market - Jul 31, 2012
- Pakistanis see India as bigger threat than Al Qaeda - Jun 22, 2011
- India among the popular, Pakistan among 10 most unpopular nations in US: Survey - Mar 10, 2008
- Pakistanis see India as greater threat than Taliban, Al Qaeda - Jul 30, 2010
- Indians, Pakistanis want better ties: Poll - Jun 22, 2011
- Support for Obama hits new low point: Survey - Dec 15, 2011
- Pakistanis happier than Indians: Gallup survey - Apr 21, 2011
- One in four Indians 'suffering': Gallup poll - May 28, 2012
- Americans opinion on Pakistan, Afghanistan hits new lows - Feb 13, 2011
- Most Russians resent Moscow: Survey - Sep 05, 2012
- Michelle, Hillary Clinton more popular than Obama - Dec 31, 2009