India, Singapore ink pact for joint army trainingAugust 12th, 2008 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) India and Singapore Tuesday signed a bilateral agreement under which their armies will conduct joint training and exercises in India. The agreement takes forward a pact the two governments signed Oct 13, 2003 on defence cooperation and seeks to provide facilities in India to the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) for joint military training and exercises.
Defence Secretary Vijay Singh signed the agreement on behalf of India, while Permanent Secretary (Defence) Chiang Chie Foo was the signatory from the Singapore side.
The training and exercises involving both armour and artillery would be carried out at the Babina and Deolali ranges in Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra,, respectively.
“Such exercises were previously conducted on the basis of an MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) the two countries entered into in January 2005, which was extended from time to time, the last being up to June 2008. Future joint training exercises would be conducted under the provisions of this bilateral agreement,” a defence ministry spokesman said.
The agreement provides for the temporary basing of a detachment of SAF personnel for a maximum period of eight weeks, up to two times a year. However, small SAF detachments not exceeding eight personnel may be allowed to be stationed with their equipment in India.
“Besides the bilateral agreement, associated protocols on training, administration and logistics, as also on financial arrangements were also signed. The agreement comes into effect from today (Tuesday) and shall remain in force initially for a period of five years,” the spokesman added.
The Singapore official also called on Defence Minister A.K. Antony to discuss matters of mutual interest in the defence sphere. He also met Indian Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta, who is the current chairman of the chiefs of staff committee, and Indian Army chief General Deepak Kapoor.
- India, Singapore extend military training agreement (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- India, Singapore to conduct joint army exercises - Aug 13, 2008
- India, Singapore sign military training deal - Jul 11, 2012
- India, Singapore test tank warfare skills - Mar 27, 2012
- India, Singapore review defence cooperation - Oct 09, 2008
- IAF chief to visit Singapore air show - Feb 13, 2012
- Indian Army to hold 20 war games with friendly nations - Jan 29, 2012
- India, Singapore troops hold joint exercise - Mar 26, 2011
- Indian Army chief talks defence relations with Uzbekistan - Nov 19, 2011
- Indian-origin officer named Singapore's new army chief - Mar 05, 2011
- India-US defence dialogue held ahead of naval drill - Feb 23, 2012
- Joint Indian, Singapore air force training from Oct 14 - Sep 30, 2011
- India, Saudi Arabia to set up joint defence panel (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- India, Oman sign memorandum on military cooperation - Dec 28, 2011
- Pakistan to give military training to Afghan army - Nov 04, 2011