India signs $640-mn deal for 75 Pilatus trainersMay 24th, 2012 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) India Thursday signed a $640 million (Rs.2,900 crore) deal with Swiss firm Pilatus to buy 75 basic trainers for the Indian Air Force (IAF), an official said.
The Cabinet Committee on Security, the country’s highest defence and security decision-making body, had earlier deal with Pilatus for its PC-7 turbo-trainer, he said.
The defence ministry had late last year declared the the winner of the contract following rigourous flight trials.
The Pilatus PC-7 beat the Korean Aerospace KT-1 and the American Hawker-Beechcraft T-6C Texan-II planes in the contest to win the deal.
The Pilatus planes will replace IAF’s fleet of 125 Hindustan Piston Trainer-32 (HPT-32) planes, along known as Deepak, from the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited stable.
India had grounded the HPT-32 fleet in 2009 following a series of crashes. The plane had persistent fuel supply system problem that could not be sorted out, resulting in 108 engine cuts, claiming the lives of 23 pilots.
- India clears $600-mn deal for air force trainers - May 10, 2012
- IAF awaits cabinet nod to buy Pilatus trainer - Nov 18, 2011
- IAF shortlists Swiss aircraft for training rookie pilots - Jun 16, 2011
- HPT-32 trainer aircraft flies into the sunset - Oct 19, 2011
- HPT-32 trainer claimed lives of 23 pilots: IAF chief - Oct 03, 2011
- New simulators for training air force pilots - May 09, 2012
- India to buy 20 more Hawk jets for aerobatics team - Sep 14, 2012
- IAF has lost 19 pilots, Rs.160 mn in trainer aircraft crashes - Dec 07, 2009
- Defence modernisation: Critical deals materialised, others faced time overruns (2011 in retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- MiG crashes due to pilots' inexperience: IAF chief - Oct 08, 2011
- Another six months for 126 combat planes deal: Antony - Feb 17, 2012
- Indian Air Force to evaluate Beechcraft T-6C trainer - Oct 08, 2010
- Surya Kiran aerobatics team to take to skies again - Oct 08, 2011
- Crashes, engine failures ground IAF trainer aircraft - Aug 30, 2009
- IAF Mirage jet crashes, fleet grounded temporarily (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: 6c, cabinet committee, crashes, deepak, defence ministry, fleet, flight trials, fuel supply system, hawker beechcraft, hindustan aeronautics, india signs, indian air force, may 24, New Delhi, pilatus pc 7, piston, planes, rs 2, swiss firm, turbo trainer