‘India should increase budget allocation for health sector’February 3rd, 2009 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 3 (IANS) Hailing India’s improvement in the health sector, Jeffrey Sachs, chairperson of the international advisory panel of the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM), Tuesday said there should be more investment in the sector.”India should step up the budgetary allocation in health sector to four to five percent of the GDP,” Sachs told reporters after a meeting with Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss.
A greater investment in the health sector, he added, will give great social returns.
Praising India’s dramatic improvement in the health sector, Sachs, who is also the advisor to UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon, said that the increase in institutional delivery and drop in mortality is especially impressive.
Arguing for an IT-based health delivery system, Sachs added that India can serve as a role model for other countries in the health sector.
Having travelled to a few Indian states, he also said that there is, however, a need for more human resources and logistical support.
- Professor Jeffrey Sachs lauds NRHM - Aug 11, 2009
- International panel to review India's rural health mission - Aug 04, 2008
- Government proposing a new National Urban Health Mission: PM - Jun 30, 2012
- Ban Ki-moon calls for more funds for public health systems - Feb 05, 2009
- International advisory panel meets Ramadoss - Aug 05, 2008
- Health ministry wary of merging AIDS department with NRHM - May 03, 2012
- Panel slams rural health scheme implementation - Mar 24, 2011
- Ban Ki-moon appreciates Health Minister Ramadoss initiatives - Feb 05, 2009
- Now, free condoms, contraceptives at your doorstep! - Jun 18, 2011
- Economic growth revised upwards to 7.1 percent - Feb 22, 2012
- GE chief Immelt lauds Indian entrepreneurship - Sep 26, 2011
- Economic growth falls to 3-year low at 6.1 percent (Roundup) - Feb 29, 2012
- Lack of reforms affecting India's growth: Expert - Nov 08, 2011
- Indian economy may grow at 8 percent in 2012-13: Rangarajan (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Ramadoss appears in graft case, moves bail plea - Jul 10, 2012