India should help form Tamil Eelam: RamadossApril 26th, 2011 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, April 26 (IANS) PMK leader S. Ramadoss Tuesday demanded that India should start work on forming an independent Tamil Eelam state in Sri Lanka.
Citing the formation of Bangladesh out of East Pakistan in 1971, Ramadoss said: “India should take preliminary steps for the formation of Tamil Eelam, carving out the areas where Tamils live.”
He said as per a UN report, more than 40,000 Tamils have been killed in the final phase of the war between Sri Lankan military and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.
Ramadoss said the UN report had exposed Sri Lanka’s deliberate bombing of civilians moved to secured areas and hospitals, cutting out food supplies and sexual assaults on Tamil women.
He said Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa should be tried by the international courts.
On Monday, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi told reporters that he does not differ from Ramadoss’ view that Rajapaksa be declared a war criminal.
Asked about Tamil Eelam, he said: “These are all international issues. One has to take into consideration India’s security and good relations.”
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- DMK to submit Tamil meet resolutions to UN: Karunanidhi - Sep 04, 2012
- Karunanidhi threatens legal action against AIADMK - Apr 25, 2011
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Indian MPs slam Sri Lanka for 'war crimes' (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- 'Aug 12 meet to focus on welfare of Sri Lankan Tamils' - Jul 16, 2012
- India must move UN to bring Rajapaksa to trial: Jayalalithaa - Apr 27, 2011
- Fringe pro-LTTE groups behind Tamil Nadu violence: Sri Lankan envoy (Interview) - Sep 06, 2012
- Indian government betrayed Sri Lankan Tamils: Raja - Aug 25, 2011
- Amid Tamil Nadu unrest, Manmohan to meet Rajapaksa - Sep 18, 2012
- Don't attend Sri Lanka military conference: rights body - May 24, 2011
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- 175 Sri Lankan tourists to return following protests (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Gotabaya Rajapaksa hits out at Jayalalithaa - Aug 08, 2011
- 'Sri Lanka's ties with China no threat to India' - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: bangladesh, chief minister, civilians, east pakistan, final phase, food supplies, international courts, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, m karunanidhi, mahinda rajapaksa, pmk, president mahinda rajapaksa, ramadoss, sexual assaults, sri lankan military, sri lankan president, tamil nadu, tamil women, war criminal