India sends second warship to Gulf of Aden to fight piratesFebruary 8th, 2009 - 6:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) The Indian Navy has sent warship INS Tabar to the Gulf of Aden to conduct anti-piracy operations, an official source said here Sunday. The navy’s guided missile frigate INS Beas is already in the region patrolling the seas against pirates.
“INS Tabar has sailed from Mumbai to the Gulf of Aden to conduct patrolling,” a senior navy official told IANS requesting anonymity.
The Gulf of Aden have turned extremely dangerous for commercial ships following attacks by Somalia-based pirates. India is among several countries, including the US, Britain, France, Iran, South Korea and China, who have sent warships to patrol the seas to prevent attacks.
INS Tabar, one of the frontline warships of the navy, last year was successful in repulsing pirate attacks and sinking one of the pirates’ “mother ship”.
The Indian Navy had recently scaled down its anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden, one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. The navy replaced its Delhi class missile-guided destroyer INS Mysore by a smaller INS Beas due to operational engagements back home.
The move has come days after reports appeared in the Chinese media that an Indian submarine and two Chinese warships, on anti-piracy mission in the region, were “locked in a tense standoff for at least an hour” after which the Indian submarine was forced to surface.
The Indian Navy had, however, said that none of its submarines was there.
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- India's new frigate INS Teg to be inducted April 27 - Apr 20, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Navy warship on anti-piracy patrol intercepts foreign dhow (Lead) - Dec 04, 2010
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Indian Navy arrests 61 pirates, rescues 13 sailors - Mar 14, 2011
- India, Turkey navy wargames begin Sunday - Jul 07, 2011
- Indian marine commandos chase pirate ship away from Arabian Sea - Nov 30, 2010
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols - Jun 12, 2012
- India mulling naval protocol to prevent skirmishes at sea - Dec 02, 2011
- India to scale down anti-piracy operations in Gulf of Aden - Jan 14, 2009
- India tweaks navy's anti-piracy rules of engagement (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Indian Navy captures 61 Somali pirates - Mar 14, 2011