India sends 50 medical personnel to MyanmarMay 17th, 2008 - 9:35 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 17 (IANS) India Saturday sent an air force IL-76 plane with 50 medical personnel including paramedics to help relief work in cyclone-hit Myanmar. Myanmar, which has been cautious about receiving international aid, has sought medical help from India, China, Bangladesh and Thailand.
“We are sending 50 medical personnel along with integral equipment, which means they will be self-sufficient in giving treatment,” a defence ministry official said.
The personnel, divided into two groups of 25 members each, flew to Yangon in an Indian Air Force IL-76 plane along with four to five consignments of medicines.
“The consignments contain 5-6 tonnes of medical aid, and each consignment can cater to 1,000 people,” the official added.
At least 77,738 people have been killed and 19,359 injured after Cyclone Nargis hit Myanmar earlier this month.
So far, India has sent to Myanmar relief material worth Rs.80 million in two ships, two AN-32 aircraft and two IL-76 aircraft of the air force.
- India to send 50 medical personnel to Myanmar - May 15, 2008
- India airlifts relief to flood-hit Sri Lanka - Jan 14, 2011
- India sends relief material to flood-hit Lanka - Jan 14, 2011
- Myanmar to build low-cost houses for cyclone victims - Jun 21, 2008
- Indian aid flown to Kyrgyzstan - Jul 06, 2010
- India to send more relief to Myanmar on Saturday - May 09, 2008
- Myanmar junta accepts diplomatic mission to oversee cyclone-hit areas - May 17, 2008
- India to send more relief to China - May 27, 2008
- India pledges funds Myanmar's cycone-hit Buddhist shrine - Jun 04, 2008
- Myanmar president meets UN chief - Apr 30, 2012
- India flies in more relief for cyclone-hit Myanmar - May 07, 2008
- IAF airlifts 71 persons from flash flood-hit Leh - Aug 10, 2010
- India pledges Myanmar $10 mn, donates 10 rice silos (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- India rolls out red carpet for Myanmar military chief - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia sends food aid to Libya - Jul 26, 2011