India says it’s free to decide on Iran oil importsMay 10th, 2012 - 1:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) India is “free to take its decisions” on importing oil from Iran despite economic sanctions by the US to thwart Tehran’s alleged military nuclear programme, Petroleum Minister Jaipal Reddy said Thursday.
“We respect the UN sanctions against any country,” Reddy told the Lok Sabha, adding that embargoes by other countries were not binding on the nation.
He was asked by Communist Part of India-Marxist leader Basudeb Acharia if Indian oil companies had reduced crude imports from Iran since 2011.
To this Reddy replied: “We are importing oil from Iran. There could be less oil, more oil depending on requirements. It is for the (oil) company to decide. These things are not monitored by the government.”
He said oil companies decide on the volume of crude imports “keeping in view various developments”.
Iran is India’s second largest oil supplier. But the US has been rallying for reduction of crude imports to force the Islamic republic to stop its military nuclear programme that Tehran says is only for civilian peaceful usage.
The minister said India’s sovereignty was “supreme” and “we will never ever allow it to be affected in any manner”.
Reddy initially took objection to Acharia’s query and asked the “senior parliamentarian, with due deference to him”, that he should have limited his supplementary to the basic question about the rates of cooking gas and petroleum products.
The remarks come days after a US Congressional report said that India had significantly reduced its imports of Iranian oil by volume from 16 percent in 2008 to 10 percent now.
- India decides to cut Iran crude imports by 11 percent - May 15, 2012
- Gold for Iran oil report speculative: India - Jan 26, 2012
- India open to all mechanisms to buy Iranian oil (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- No tanker shortage to ship Iranian crude: MRPL - Mar 21, 2012
- Iran not concerned if Europe doesn't buy its oil: Official - Nov 23, 2011
- Amid Western pressure, India, Iran seek closer economic ties (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Clinton visit: India to juggle ties with US, Iran - May 05, 2012
- Enough global oil to sideline Iran: Obama - Mar 31, 2012
- US exempts seven countries from sanctions - Jun 12, 2012
- Croatia bans oil import from Iran - Mar 23, 2012
- 'EU sanctions on Iran may push oil prices to $150' - Jan 30, 2012
- Amid sanctions pressure, Iran to pitch for expanded India ties - May 30, 2012
- Petrol price hike in the offing as crude soars - Mar 23, 2012
- Oil jumps on Iran tension - Jul 04, 2012
- IAEA team to visit Iran as EU slaps oil imports ban - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: congressional report, deference, economic sanctions, embargoes, indian oil, indian oil companies, iran oil, iranian oil, jaipal reddy, Lok Sabha, marxist leader, oil company, oil imports, oil supplier, parliamentarian, petroleum products, report said that, sovereignty, tehran, un sanctions