India-Saudi Arabia to enhance defence cooperationSeptember 10th, 2012 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 10 (IANS) India and Saudi Arabia will enhance bilateral cooperation with defence exchanges and interaction between their armed forces, the government said Monday.
The two countries held the first ever meeting of the joint committee on defence cooperation here Monday. It was attended by a 11-member Saudi delegation headed by armed forces operations’ chief Major General Suleiman Saleh Al-Khalifa.
“Proposals for exchange of high level visits, training exchanges and functional exchanges in various areas were discussed and will be finalised over the coming weeks,” the defence ministry said in a statement.
The joint committee has been tasked to develop programmes to further cooperation between the military establishments of the two countries.
Both the countries decided to form the committee after Defence Minister A.K. Antony met his Saudi counterpart Crown Prince Salman bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud during a visit to Saudi Arabia in February 2012.
India-Saudi relations have are in an upswing since 2006 after King Abdullah visited New Delhi. In 2010, the two nations signed several pacts, including agreements on energy, counterterrorism, narcotics, money laundering and extradition.
The two countries are also examining the possibility of cooperation in defence industries.
- India-Saudi ties poised for upsurge after Jundal handover (News Analysis) - Jul 29, 2012
- Saudi Arabia, Bahrain discuss bilateral relations - Aug 01, 2012
- Saudi offer to hike crude exports to India - Feb 14, 2012
- In a first, Antony goes to Saudi Arabia on key defence visit - Feb 11, 2012
- UAE leaders greet new Saudi crown prince - Jun 19, 2012
- Indian defence minister leaves for Saudi Arabia - Feb 13, 2012
- India, Saudi Arabia to set up joint defence panel (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Antony's visit: India, Saudi Arabia seek stronger ties - Feb 15, 2012
- India seeks Saudi investment in infrastructure - Jan 05, 2012
- UAE president greets leaders on Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- Saudi Arabia a factor of stability in region: Krishna - Mar 04, 2010
- Pakistan PM leaves for Saudi Arabia - Jul 15, 2012
- India-Saudi ties get boost with Riyadh governor's visit (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- India-Saudi relations will continue to blossom: Envoy - Sep 24, 2010
- China, Saudi Arabia pledge to promote exchanges - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: al khalifa, al saud, bilateral cooperation, counterterrorism, crown prince, defence cooperation, defence industries, defence minister, defence ministry, extradition, forces operations, joint committee, king abdullah, military establishments, narcotics money laundering, pacts, saudi arabia, saudi delegation, saudi relations, suleiman