India, Russia to hold naval exercise (Lead)April 19th, 2011 - 12:01 am ICT by IANS
Moscow/New Delhi, April 18 (IANS) Indian naval ships Monday reached Russia’s eastern city of Vladivostok on a friendly visit ahead of their bilateral annual maritime war game.
The Indian naval detachment included three missile destroyers, a corvette and a tanker. These warships will engage Russian warships in the ‘Indra’ series of naval exercises that the two countries hold annually.
Vladivostok is the main base for Russia’s Pacific Fleet. It is located less than 100 km east of the Chinese border.
The Indian warships reached the Russian port city after their successful bilateral naval war game ‘Malabar’ with the US Navy in the Pacific Ocean off Japan early this month.
With Japan busy with tsunami relief and containing the fallout from the damaged Fukushima nuclear plant, it did not join the nine-day India-US naval war game from April 2.
Japan, which was to send its warships to the ‘Malabar’ exercise, had ruled out its participation following which India and the US decided to go ahead with the two-nation war game, though its scope had to be scaled down as some important Japanese assets like maritime aircraft were not available.
- Tsunami-hit Japan opts out of India-US naval war game - Apr 01, 2011
- Russia snubs India; cancels navy, army war games - May 31, 2011
- Indian naval ships in Russia - Apr 18, 2011
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- India, Japan to hold joint naval exercises - Jun 05, 2012
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- Four Russian warships set to leave for China - Apr 15, 2012
- 'Aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov shaping up for sea trials' - Jul 20, 2011
- Naval war games close to China beneficial: Antony - Oct 12, 2011
- India-US defence dialogue held ahead of naval drill - Feb 23, 2012
- US Navy chief to arrive in Delhi Sunday - Apr 09, 2010
- Russian, Chinese warships begin joint exercises - Apr 24, 2012
- North Korean navy official visits Russia - Oct 20, 2011
- Defence secretary in Russia for talks - Jun 13, 2011
- China, Russia conclude joint naval drill - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: chinese border, friendly visit, malabar, maritime aircraft, maritime war, missile destroyers, naval detachment, naval exercise, naval exercises, naval ships, naval war, nuclear plant, pacific fleet, russian port, russian warships, s pacific, tsunami relief, us navy, vladivostok, war game