India, Russia to discuss increased military ties MondaySeptember 28th, 2008 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 28 (IANS) India and Russia will discuss increased ties between their militaries at the eighth meeting of the India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military-Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) here Monday.Indian Defence Minister A.K. Antony and his visiting Russian counterpart Anatoly Serdyukov will co-chair the meeting. While this is Serdyukov’s maiden visit to India, the duo had met in Moscow during the seventh meeting of the Commission Oct 17-19 when the two countries had signed a landmark agreement on the joint development and production of a fifth generation fighter jet and a multi-role transport aircraft (MTA).
“The meeting will cover a broad spectrum of issues including supply of defence systems, equipment upgrades, product and life-cycle support for defence equipment of Russian origin. Licensed and joint production, joint development and production of systems and platforms, interaction between the two armed forces and military technical cooperation will also be discussed,” a defence official said Sunday.
The two sides will also hold delegation-level talks.
The main agenda during the talks will be the progress on developing the combat jet and the transport aircraft. Discussions are also likely to be held on the additional $1.2 billion has demanded for the aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov that the Indian Navy has purchased for $1.5 billion
“A memorandum regarding the co-development of the fighter aircraft is already in place. But modalities need to be discussed,” another defence official said.
The Indian Air Force (IAF) chief, Air Chief Marshal Fali H. Major, told IANS in August that the fighter jets would be inducted by 2017.
During his three-day stay in India that began Sunday, Serdyukov would be visiting the BrahMos Aerospace Complex in the capital and the Indian Army’s Para Brigade at Agra.
IRIGC-MTC was established in 2000 during the visit here of then Russian president Vladimir Putin to strengthen bilateral defence cooperation. India and Russia are also in talks to extend their military cooperation beyond 2010.
- 'Antony won't witness fifth generation combat plane flight' - Sep 30, 2011
- India, Russia to review defence ties - Oct 04, 2011
- Quicken military hardware deliveries, India urges Russia - Oct 07, 2010
- India, Russia to soon ink advanced fighter deal - Oct 07, 2010
- IAF chief to review aircraft projects in Russia - Aug 09, 2012
- India to get 250-300 advanced jets co-developed with Russia (Lead) - Oct 07, 2010
- India-Russia defence ties evolving from buyer-seller to a broadbased partnership - Oct 15, 2009
- Antony flags delays in Russian defence supplies - Oct 05, 2011
- Antony to begin three-day visit to Russia today - Oct 13, 2009
- Antony to undertake three-day visit of Russia - Oct 09, 2009
- India, Russia agree to extend military cooperation for 10 years - Oct 15, 2009
- India, Russia to hold annual military cooperation talks - Oct 05, 2010
- Indo-Russian govt. panel to discuss developing fifth generation fighter aircraft - Sep 28, 2008
- Russian Defence Minister meets Antony - Sep 29, 2008
- India to buy 250-300 stealth fighter jets from Russia - Oct 07, 2010