India, Russia discuss additional n-reactors in Tamil NaduDecember 21st, 2010 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 21 (IANS) India and Russia Tuesday discussed setting up more nuclear reactors in Tamil Nadu, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said.The two countries discussed setting up “additional nuclear reactors” in Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu, Manmohan Singh said at a joint press conference with visiting President Dmitry Medvedev.
“This reflects our mutual desire for strong cooperation in the field of defence and (civil) nuclear energy,” Manmohan Singh said.
Atomstroyexport, a subsidiary of the state-owned nuclear company Rosatom, is building two 1,000 MW reactors in Kudankulam in collaboration with the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL), and is in negotiations to build more.
The first of the original reactors is undergoing final safety tests and is likely to start operations early next year after numerous delays to the original schedule. Construction work is mostly complete for the second reactor as well, which is likely to become critical within two years.
- Russia asks Pakistan to expedite 26/11 probe, backs India for UNSC seat (Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Russia asks Pakistan to push 26/11 probe, backs India for UNSC, NSG (Second Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Russia flays Pakistan over 26/11, backs India for UNSC, NSG (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2010
- Nuclear fuel to be loaded in Kudankulam plant - Sep 05, 2012
- Children petition against Kudankulam reactors - Aug 13, 2012
- Kudankulam to be operational soon: PM - Dec 16, 2011
- Pacts for Kudankulam III and IV almost ready: Russian envoy - Mar 26, 2012
- Russia, Belarus sign $10 bn nuke plant deal - Jul 18, 2012
- Kudankulam fast's 11th day, letter against MNCs - Oct 28, 2011
- Jayalalithaa demands 1,000 MW power from Kudankulam unit - Aug 19, 2012
- Kudankulam protests overdone, say PM - Dec 17, 2011
- AERB clears fuel loading in Kudankulam nuclear reactor - Aug 10, 2012
- Manmohan Singh warmly welcomed in Chennai - Dec 25, 2011
- Suspend Kudankulam nuclear project work, Tamil Nadu tells PM - Sep 22, 2011
- Jayalalithaa writes to PM, demands Kudankulam power - Apr 25, 2012