India prepares to test Agni-IIIMay 6th, 2008 - 9:43 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, May 6 (IANS) India is making elaborate preparations to test its longest-range nuclear capable missile Agni III from a defence base in Orissa this week, military sources said Tuesday. Agni-III, one of the Agni series missiles, is capable of carrying warheads weighing up to 1.5 tonnes, is 16 metres tall and weighs 48 tonnes. It can hit a target located at a distance of up to 3,000 km.
Many scientists have gathered at the Integrated Test Range (ITR) of Chandipur for the test, which sources say will be conducted from the Inner Wheeler Island - a launch site in Balasore district off the Orissa coast, some 230 km from here.
This would be the third test of the missile, which has can reach strategic targets deep inside China like Beijing and Shanghai.
The first test of the missile from the same defence base on July 9, 2006, was unsuccessful - the second stage of the rocket had failed to separate from the missile quickly and fallen short of its target.
However, the missile developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), was tested again from the same base April 12, 2007. The test was described as successful.
While Agni-I is a 750-800 km short-range missile, Agni-II has a range of more than 1,500 km. Both have already been inducted in the armed forces.
- India tests Agni-III missile (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- India tests Agni-III missile (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- India successfully tests n-capable Agni-III missile (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2010
- India successfully tests nuclear-capable Agni-III missile (Lead) - Feb 07, 2010
- India tests long-range nuclear-capable Agni-III missile - Feb 07, 2010
- Agni-III successfully test fired, ready for induction (Third Lead) - Feb 07, 2010
- N-capable missiles in India's arsenal [To go with India test-fires 5,000 km Agni-V missile, China cautious (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2012
- Agni-II test fired successfully - May 17, 2010
- 'Rocket Woman' propels India's missile mission - Nov 21, 2011
- India tests nuclear capable Agni-II plus missile - Dec 10, 2010
- India sucessfully tests nuclear-capable Agni-I missile - Nov 25, 2010
- Agni-I missile test-fired off Orissa coast - Nov 25, 2010
- India's Agni-II-plus missile test fails (Lead) - Dec 10, 2010
- India, Pakistan successfully test-fire n-capable missiles (Fourth Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- India tests nuke capable Prithvi II missile - Jun 09, 2011