India playing balanced role in Korean peninsula: South KoreaFebruary 17th, 2011 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 17 (IANS) India played a “balanced role” in the Korean peninsula to ease down the tensions between South Korea and North Korea, South Korean ambassador Kim Joong Keun said Thursday.”India has been good friend of both the countries. It plays a balanced role in the Korean peninsula. On the part of South Korea, we have been working very closely to make the Korean peninsula stabilised,” Kim told reporters on the sidelines of a Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) programme in Kolkata.
The relationship between the two Koreas reached a new low when North Korea in November last year shelled the South Korea’s Yeonpyeong Island near the disputed maritime border in the Yellow Sea, killing two marines and two civilians.
South Korea also blamed North Korea for the sinking of a South Korean warship in March last year that killed 46 sailors. North Korea denied any responsibility for that incident.
- S. Korean defence minister resigns over slow response to N. Korean shelling of island - Nov 26, 2010
- Kim's son behind attack on South Korea to 'mobilise military and consolidate his power' - Nov 24, 2010
- North and South Korea exchange fire - Aug 10, 2011
- China's 'guarded response' puts onus on both Koreas to establish peace in Peninsula - Nov 24, 2010
- S. Korea drops demand for N. Korea apology - Jan 29, 2011
- S.Korea begins Yellow Sea anti-submarine drills, cocks a snook on N.Korea - Aug 05, 2010
- Talks on North Korea should begin soon: US envoy - Jan 07, 2011
- South Korea lifts temporary travel ban to North - Jan 04, 2012
- Seoul hopes tensions between Koreas will ease - Jan 02, 2012
- North Korea fires artillery shells near maritime border - Aug 09, 2010
- India calls for dialogue between North, South Koreas - Dec 03, 2010
- South says North Korea ready to carry out nuclear test - Apr 24, 2012
- India, France urge Korea to comply with UNSC and IAEA BoG resolutions - Dec 06, 2010
- S Korea says Pyongyang's renewed call for inter-Korean talks 'lacks sincerity' - Jan 10, 2011
- North Korea to release South Korean boat, crew - Sep 06, 2010
Tags: ambassador, civilians, confederation of indian industry, good friend, India, keun, kolkata, korea south, korean peninsula, koreas, marines, north korea, peninsula south, sailors, sidelines, south korea, south korean, tensions, warship, yellow sea