India planning to lower base price for basmati exportsFebruary 5th, 2009 - 3:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 5 (IANS) The government is looking at another cut in the minimum export price (MEP) for basmati rice to help domestic players compete with their counterparts from Pakistan, Commerce Secretary G.K. Pillai said Thursday.”We have asked the state governments to forward their views on lowering of basmati rice price for exports,” Pillai said on the sidelines of the International Plastic Conference here.
“The final decision has to be taken by the empowered group of ministers (EGOM),” the commerce secretary said, indicating that the high-powered panel headed by External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee will also decide the quantum of the price cut.
The government last month had reduced the MEP by Rs.5,000 per tonne to Rs.55,000. But exporters said the cut was not enough to compete with exports from Pakistan specially since they had also faced payment defaults from some markets.
India and Pakistan are the only two countries that have the claim on geographical indication for basmati, a long grain rice famous for its unique aroma.
- Organic basmati the new buzz among Jammu farmers - Jul 02, 2012
- Pakistani growers oppose basmati rice export to India - Jan 23, 2012
- Treat basmati rice as a niche product, government urged - Nov 11, 2009
- India may soon get Chinese nod for basmati exports - Mar 19, 2009
- India, Pakistan to revive bilateral trade panels - Apr 28, 2011
- 24 commodities dearer in Pakistan in Ramzan's first week - Aug 07, 2011
- Some subsidy may be restored to tackle drought: Minister - Jul 27, 2012
- Pakistanis cook a platter, forge cultural bonds - Apr 15, 2012
- No immediate plans to import rice, says Scindia - Mar 08, 2010
- 'Allow wheat exports to Pakistan, CIS countries' - Apr 24, 2012
- Basmati rice aroma to waft through global dishes - Nov 23, 2011
- Government to export two million tonnes wheat - Jul 04, 2012
- Punjab to export rice worth Rs.2,500 crore - Oct 05, 2011
- Governments spar, but people of Pakistan, India want to connect - Feb 26, 2012
- Government considering lifting rice export ban - Aug 05, 2008