India pitches for greater development ties with AfricaMarch 19th, 2012 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) India Monday pitched for scaling up economic ties with Africa and underlined its commitment to partnering the continent in fulfilling its developmental aspirations.
“We are committed to fulfilling the developmental aspirations of Africa,” Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur told African ministers and business people at the India-Africa business conclave here.
Alluding to the two summits India has held with African leaders, Kaur stressed that India’s partnership with Africa was focused on capacity building, technology transfer and economic cooperation. Technology, investment and training constitute the tripod on which the India-Africa partnership rests, said Kaur.
She said the bilateral trade between India and Africa increased by 35 percent in 2010-11. Bilateral trade is currently estimated to be over $50 billion.
At the second India-Africa Forum Summit in Addis Ababa last year, India pledged $5 billion in lines of credit and $700 million in grants for infrastructure development and for setting up over 100 training institutes across the African continent.
Acknowledging New Delhi’s strengths in knowledge industries, Faustin Archange Touadera, Prime Minister of the Central African Republic, sought India’s increased assistance in infrastructure development and in developing managerial and technical capabilities in his country.
Over 600 industry leaders, ministers and officials from 36 African countries are participating at the 8th CII-EXIM Bank Conclave on India-Africa Project Partnership. They are expected to discuss 250 projects worth $30 billion.
- India seeks to jointly develop new markets with Africa (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Exim Bank offers $60 million loan to Central African Republic - Mar 19, 2012
- India-Africa business conclave starts Sunday - Mar 25, 2011
- Projects worth $30 billion discussed at India-Africa conclave - Mar 20, 2012
- Unique ID numbers to half the population by 2014: Nilekani - Mar 27, 2011
- India-Africa conclave to discuss projects worth $30 billion - Mar 11, 2012
- India bats for generic drugs, seeks Africa's support - Mar 18, 2012
- $18 bn worth of projects discussed at India-Africa conclave - Mar 29, 2011
- India to build 100 institutions in Africa for human development - Mar 19, 2012
- India vows to help turn Africa into emerging growth pole - Oct 12, 2011
- India to expand science, tech cooperation with Africa (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- India, Africa poised to expand science, tech cooperation - Mar 04, 2012
- Africa seeks long-term scientific partnership with India (With Images) - Mar 01, 2012
- India invited to make huge investments in Africa: Mozambique - Mar 28, 2011
- India, Africa aim to give voice to developing world: Krishna - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: addis ababa, africa business, africa forum, africa partnership, africa project, african continent, african leaders, african ministers, bilateral trade, building technology, cii, cooperation technology, economic cooperation, economic ties, external affairs, infrastructure development, knowledge industries, project partnership, technical capabilities, training institutes