India-Pakistan panel for quick verification of prisonersApril 22nd, 2011 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 22 (IANS) The India-Pakistan judicial commission on prisoners has suggested that the two countries immediately facilitate the nationality verification process of citizens in each other’s jails who have completed their sentences.
The commission, which is on a five-day tour of Pakistan from April 18, in a statement said it also recommended a humane approach in dealing with cases of fishermen, women, children, terminally ill and disabled prisoners.
Retired Justices Nagedra Rai, Amerjeet Chaudhary, A.S. Gill and M.A. Khan are members of the joint commission from the Indian side, with retired Justices Abdul Qadeer Chaudhary, Fazal Karin, Nasir Aslam Zahid and Mian Muhammed Ajmal from the Pakistan side.
The commission had visited prisons in Karachi, Rawalpindi and Lahore after which the statement was released by both sides Friday.
During the visit, Pakistan shared its list of Indian fishermen and civilian prisoners with the Indian delegation and it also provided consular access to some of the Indian prisoners on the spot.
Further, the commission recommended to reconcile the figures of prisoners and fishermen at the earliest and to allow consular access to the rest of the fishermen and prisoners in the second week of May.
The Pakistan delegation will now visit Indian jails in the second half of June this year and the dates would be finalised by both sides through diplomatic channels.
- Indian team on prisoners' release to reach Pakistan Monday - Apr 17, 2011
- India urges Pakistan to free its fishermen - Aug 03, 2011
- Release all Indian, Pakistani prisoners: Sindh governor - Apr 19, 2011
- Pakistan releases 180 Indian prisoners (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Pak team to visit India to review prisoners'' conditions - Aug 17, 2008
- India, Pakistan put prisoners' release on fast track - Aug 23, 2008
- India-Pakistan joint panel to push release of prisoners - Jun 10, 2008
- Pakistani civil society members meet Sonia Gandhi - Sep 08, 2010
- Pakistan to release 54 Indian fishermen - Jun 10, 2008
- Indian team visits Karachi jails - Jun 11, 2008
- Pakistani team visiting Indian jails - Aug 18, 2008
- India repatriates 54 Pak fishermen, ten prisoners - Nov 12, 2010
- 761 Pakistanis in Indian jails: Report - Feb 15, 2011
- Release prisoners who have completed term: Pakistan-India panel - Apr 23, 2011
- Don't deprive Pakistani prisoners of rights, dignity: Apex court - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: ajmal, aslam, civilian prisoners, diplomatic channels, humane approach, india pakistan, indian delegation, indian fishermen, indian prisoners, jails, judicial commission, lahore, mian, muhammed, nasir, nationality, pakistan side, prisons, rawalpindi, zahid