India, Pakistan need more time to resolve Siachen dispute: AntonyJune 3rd, 2011 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) With India and Pakistan agreeing to continue their talks on the Siachen Glacier, Defence Minister A.K. Antony Friday said both countries needed more time to debate issues concerning the world’s highest battlefield.
Antony told reporters here that the talks between the neighbours were “free and frank” and the atmosphere at the meeting was “cordial”
“But they were not able to come to a conclusion or agreement. So ultimately, they decided they needed more time…both sides. So India and Pakistan will meet again at a mutually convenient time and the next round will be in Islamabad,” he said.
At a meeting May 30-31 between the defence secretaries of the two countries, it was decided that they would meet again for the 13th round of talks on Siachen Glacier at a mutually convenient date in Islamabad.
At the 12th round of talks, the two sides reiterated their respective positions on the 70-km-long glacier dispute lingering over 27 years now since 1984.
Pakistan also gave a “non-paper” to India explaining their suggestions and proposals for the peaceful resolution of the conflict along the 110-km Actual Ground Position Line (AGPL) on the Saltoro Ridge.
“It is a very complicated issue. Both sides need more time to study this,” Antony added.
India and Pakistan are estimated to have spent over $10 billion in cumulative budgetary allocations for fighting the battle at altitudes ranging from 16,000 to 20,000 feet, where they have lost nearly 2,300 troops, mostly due to inhospitable weather with temperatures dipping to minus 50 degree Celsius in winter.
A truce has been holding on the glacier since November 2003.
- India lost 26 soldiers in Siachen in one year - Apr 30, 2012
- India, Pakistan continue to disagree on Siachen; to meet again (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- India, Pakistan disagree on Siachen issues - May 31, 2011
- India, Pakistan to continue talks on Siachen row (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Factfile on India-Pakistan Siachen dispute - May 30, 2011
- Indian defence secretary in Pakistan - Jun 11, 2012
- Two army officers killed in Siachen bunker fire (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- India, Pakistan to resume defence talks after four years - May 25, 2011
- Pakistan, India hold talks on Siachen (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Must hold Siachen positions: Indian Army (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Ignoring Pakistan, India sending civilian trek to Siachen - Jul 25, 2011
- Pakistan calls off Sir Creek talks with India - May 10, 2012
- India, Pakistan hold 'cordial, constructive' Siachen talks (Lead, with images) - May 30, 2011
- Pakistan does a U-turn, says no change in Siachen policy - Apr 19, 2012
- India, Pakistan to resume Siachen talks Monday - May 30, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,