India, Pakistan foreign ministers to meet July 27July 21st, 2011 - 5:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Islamabad, July 21 (IANS) India and Pakistan Thursday announced that talks between their foreign ministers will take place July 27.
In New Delhi, the external affairs ministry announced that Pakistan’s newly appointed Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar would visit New Delhi for the bilateral talks.
“These talks will be preceded by a meeting of the foreign secretaries of India and Pakistan July 26,” the ministry said.
A terse announcement from Pakistan’s foreign office in Islamabad said Khar would be visiting New Delhi at the invitation of Krishna.
Ahead of the talks that come exactly two weeks after the July 13 triple bombing in Mumbai, the two sides have made right noises about sustaining the peace process resumed only in February this year.
There was a long hiatus following the Nov 26-28 terror attacks in Mumbai that froze their engagement and brought ties to a new low.
Issues relating to cross-border terror will figure prominently in the foreign minister level discussions. The two sides are likely to unveil a slew of new confidence building measures to expand trade and travel across the divided halves of Kashmir, officials said.
Krishna sent a felicitation letter to Khar Tuesday soon after she was sworn in as foreign minister, saying he looked forward to meeting her in New Delhi and hoped for “friendly and cooperative” ties between the two countries.
In Islamabad, the 34-year-old Khar, Pakistan’s first woman foreign minister and youngest person to occupy the key post, met India’s High Commissioner Sharat Sabharwal and conveyed that the two sides should make the dialogue process “uninterrupted and uninterruptable” to help build trust between two countries.
- Foreign ministers of India, Pakistan to meet July 27 (Lead) - Jul 21, 2011
- Krishna to visit Pakistan Sep 7-9, Jundal shadow over talks - Jul 24, 2012
- Krishna congratulates Pakistan's new foreign minister - Jul 20, 2011
- India, Pakistan discuss cross-Kashmir CBMs, terror (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Indian envoy discusses ties with Khar - Jan 25, 2012
- Krishna in Pakistan, will share concerns on terror - Sep 07, 2012
- Positive talks integral to normalising ties: Hina - Jul 29, 2011
- Indian, Pakistani foreign secretaries begin talks - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan firm up cross-Kashmir CBMs, discuss terror (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Hina Khar may pray at Jama Masjid, hopes for better ties - Jul 22, 2011
- Stable Pakistan in everyone's interest: Krishna (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Zardari welcomes India-Pakistan talks' outcome - Jul 30, 2011
- Pakistan visit fruitful: Krishna (Second Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- India-Pakistan talks signal hope, says daily - Jul 27, 2011
- Pakistan visit fruitful, says Krishna (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: bilateral talks, confidence building, cooperative ties, external affairs ministry, first woman, foreign minister, foreign ministers, foreign office, hiatus, india and pakistan, india pakistan, islamabad, khar, krishna, level discussions, minister level, New Delhi, peace process, terror attacks, terse announcement