India, Pakistan foreign ministers begin talksJuly 27th, 2011 - 12:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) Indian External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna and his Pakistani counterpart Hina Rabbani Khar Wednesday began talks that are expected to culminate in a host of confidence-building measures (CBMs) across the divided halves of Kashmir.
All issues, including terrorism and Kashmir, will figure in the discussions.
Krishna is expected to press Pakistan for speedy justice for victims of the 26/11 Mumbai carnage and raise the issue of Pakistani spy agency ISI’s link with Kashmiri separatism. He is also expected to emphasise the need for “an atmosphere free from terror” to continue meaningful talks.
Ahead of the talks, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao and her Pakistani counterpart Salman Bashir had Tuesday finalised a slew of CBMs designed to expand travel and trade across the divided halves of Kashmir. These CBMs are expected to be announced later in the day after the talks between Krishna and Khar.
The CBMs could include an increase in the frequency of cross-Kashmir bus links between Srinagar and Muzaffarabad and Poonch and Rawalakot, an increase in the number of trading days across the Line of Control (LoC) from two to four, the opening of more trading points and multiple entry permits for six months for the people of Jammu and Kashmir.
- India-Pakistan talk, hope for peaceful ties (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- India, Pakistan discuss cross-Kashmir CBMs, terror (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan foreign secretaries to hold talks Tuesday - Jul 25, 2011
- Indian, Pakistani foreign secretaries begin talks - Jul 26, 2011
- Pakistan says will cooperate with India in Mumbai probe (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan firm up cross-Kashmir CBMs, discuss terror (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan hope to move forward, finalise CBMs (Night Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan to firm up agenda for foreign ministers Tuesday (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- India, Pakistan to announce CBMs on Kashmir, nuclear issues - Jul 08, 2011
- Cross-Kashmir CBMs ahead of India, Pakistan talks - Jul 16, 2011
- India, Pakistan agree on cross-Kashmir linkages, set positive tone (Evening Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- New cross-LoC CBMs on anvil; 26/11, Fai to figure in India-Pakistan talks (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- India, Pakistan to ease cross-Kashmir trade, travel (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- India, Pakistan firm up new cross-Kashmir CBMs - Jul 18, 2011
- Foreign ministers of India, Pakistan to meet July 27 (Lead) - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: bashir, bus links, confidence building, external affairs minister, finalised, foreign ministers, india pakistan, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, khar, krishna, meaningful talks, muzaffarabad, nirupama rao, poonch, rabbani, separatism, speedy justice, spy agency, srinagar