India, Pakistan finalise liberal visa accordOctober 15th, 2011 - 12:43 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 14 (IANS) In a key confidence-building step, India and Pakistan Friday firmed up a draft of their bilateral visa agreement that will spur travel between the two countries.
Senior officials of India and Pakistan held the second meeting of the Joint Working Group that looked at the modalities for streamlining the visa procedures to enhance greater business and people-to-people contacts between the two countries.
The draft agreement envisages, among other things, multiple-entry visas for businessmen, and allow people from India and Pakistan to visit to more than three places in one visit.
The Indian delegation was led by Anil Goswami, Additional Secretary (Foreigners) in the home affairs ministry. The Pakistani delegation was led by Nasar Hayat, additional secretary, ministry of interior. “The discussions were held in a friendly and cordial atmosphere,” the external affairs ministry said in a statement here.
“The two sides finalised the draft text of the agreement, which will be submitted to the respective governments for obtaining necessary approvals in order to sign the agreement at an early date,” said the ministry.
During the talks between the foreign ministers of the two countries in June, the two sides had prioritised building strong people-to-people contacts as a key part of their relationship and decided to accelerate their negotiations for concluding a visa agreement.
The finalisation of the visa agreement signals an easing of relations between the two neighbours whose ties had plummeted to a new low following the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack. They decided to resume their peace process early this year.
- India, Pakistan MPs brainstorm on liberal visas, media role - Aug 23, 2012
- India, Pakistan hope to move forward, finalise CBMs (Night Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Krishna's visit: India, Pakistan to spur cross-border trade - Aug 14, 2012
- India, Pakistan MPs moot new CBMs; discuss Assam, SMSs (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- India, Pakistan firm up new cross-Kashmir CBMs - Jul 18, 2011
- India, Pakistan likely to sign visa pact Saturday - Sep 07, 2012
- India, Pakistan to review CBMs Monday - Dec 24, 2011
- Visa pact to be signed Saturday, will benefit common people: Rehman Malik (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Cross-Kashmir CBMs ahead of India, Pakistan talks - Jul 16, 2011
- India disappointed as visa pact with Pakistan deferred (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Pakistan, India must prevent 'tripping of nuclear wire': daily - Dec 29, 2011
- Moving beyond past, India, Pakistan ink visa pact (Third Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- India, Pakistan agree on cross-Kashmir linkages, set positive tone (Evening Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan parliamentarians to hold dialogue next week - Aug 13, 2011
- Maharastra minister calls for easing India-Pakistan visa regime - May 25, 2012
Tags: confidence building, cordial atmosphere, draft agreement, draft text, entry visas, external affairs ministry, finalise, foreign ministers, home affairs ministry, india and pakistan, india pakistan, indian delegation, joint working group, ministry of interior, necessary approvals, peace process, senior officials, terror attack, visa accord, visa procedures