India-Pakistan cricket ties may resume soon: Pakistani envoyJune 5th, 2012 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) In what will be music for the ears of thousands of sub-continental cricket lovers, Pakistani High Commissioner Shahid Malik Tuesday expressed the hope that bilateral cricketing ties between India and Pakistan will soon resume.
Talking to reporters at Indian Women Press Corps here, he said that Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani talked to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during World Cup semifinal at Mohali last year on restarting bilateral cricket matches.
“I hope that the cricket bilateral series between India and Pakistan resume soon,” Malik said.
“There is a desire on the part of the leadership of both countries that this start,” he said adding that Manmohan Singh had said he would take up the issue with the Indian cricket board.
Malik also pointed out that PakistanCricket Board chairman Zaka Ashraf was in India at the invitation of Indian cricket board to witness last month’s Indian Premier League final at Chennai.
Ashraf had met board president N Srinivasan in Chennai, and later, in Delhi, he met ICC chief Sharad Pawar and IPL commissioner Rajiv Shukla.
“The two cricket boards are discussing the possibility of restarting the cricket ties and series,” Malik said.
He also said Pakistan’s T20 tournament winners have been invited to participate in the Champions League tournament in India later this year.
“That is a sort of breaking of the ice,” Malik said.
- PCB chairman's visit revives Pakistan's IPL hopes - May 28, 2012
- India-Pakistan to resume cricketing ties after 5 years (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Pakistan to play 3 ODIs, 2 T20s in India in Dec-Jan (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- India-Pakistan break the ice on cricketing ties (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- (VM) India-Pakistan to revive cricketing ties after 5 years (Third Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- We are open for cricket series against Pakistan: Dhoni - May 31, 2012
- Pakistan's domestic T20 winners to play in Champions League: BCCI - May 12, 2012
- Ashraf confident Pakistan will host visitors in 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Pakistan hopes to lure cricket teams with foolproof security - Dec 10, 2011
- Cricket tour an excellent CBM: Pakistani daily - Jul 18, 2012
- Amid improving ties, Zardari to meet Manmohan, visit Ajmer (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Pakistan visit fruitful: Krishna (Second Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- PM says "proper atmosphere" needed for Pakistan visit - Aug 31, 2012
- Repairing country's cricket image new PCB chief's top priority - Oct 13, 2011
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
Tags: ashraf, board chairman, cricket boards, cricket lovers, gilani, india and pakistan, india pakistan cricket, indian cricket board, manmohan, manmohan singh, pakistani prime minister, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sharad pawar, srinivasan, tournament winners, women press, world cup semifinal, yousuf, zaka