India-Pakistan can set up World Cup semifinalMarch 21st, 2011 - 9:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 21 (IANS) An India-Pakistan encounter has invariably been a high point at the cricket World Cup ever since the two clashed for the first time in 1992 Down Under. The two former champions can clash in the semifinals at Mohali March 30 if India overcome Australia and Pakistan beat the West Indies in their first knockout rounds.
India, who have finished second in Group B, will have to beat defending champions Australia in Ahmedabad Thursday while Group A toppers Pakistan will have to overpower the West Indies in Mirpur in Bangladesh Wednesday before they can think of the exciting Mohali clash.
India have never lost to Pakistan in the World Cup, coming on top in all four meetings which were riveting. The only time they met in the knockout round, India beat them comfortably in Bangalore in 1996.
In the other two quarterfinals, New Zealand face South Africa Friday in Mirpur, and Sri Lanka take on England in Colombo Saturday.
- Possible India-Pakistan clash not on Afridi's mind now - Mar 22, 2011
- Pakistan seeks maximum visas for World Cup semis - Mar 25, 2011
- Pakistan have no problems playing in India: Afridi (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Agnivesh raps Manmohan Singh for inviting Pak PM to watch WC semi final - Mar 30, 2011
- Pak focussing on WC quarterfinal win without thinking of meeting India at semis: Afridi - Mar 23, 2011
- Pak PM Gilani arrives in Mohali - Mar 30, 2011
- Pakistan team closely followed India-Oz game - Mar 25, 2011
- Sports and politics should be treated separately: Mukherjee - Mar 30, 2011
- India wins toss, elects to bat first against Pak in Mohali encounter - Mar 30, 2011
- Indo-Pak World Cup semi-final clash will "charge up" Pakistani players: Ramiz Raja - Mar 25, 2011
- India face Australia, Sri Lanka take on England in World Cup quarters (Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- Pak registers thumping win against Windies to enter WC semifinal - Mar 23, 2011
- Pakistan unpredictable, West Indies inconsistent (Preview) - Mar 22, 2011
- ICC U-19 World Cup: India-Pakistan clash for place in semis - Aug 19, 2012
- England keep suspense alive in Group B - Mar 18, 2011