India opener Gambhir banned for a TestOctober 31st, 2008 - 1:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 31 (IANS) India opener Gautam Gambhir has been banned for one Test match by Match Referee Chris Broad after he was found guilty of deliberately elbowing Australian cricketer Shane Watson during the ongoing third Test at the Feroz Shah Kotla here.Gambhir, who has been in terrific form in the series, will have to sit out the final Test in Nagpur, but the Indian cricket board is likely to go for an appeal against the decision.
Both Gambhir and Watson were found violating the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Code of Conduct when they were involved in a skirmish on the opening day of the Test match here Wednesday.
Watson was fined 10 percent of his match fee Thursday evening while Gambhir’s hearing was adjourned to Friday morning.
“The decision to find Gambhir guilty of a level 2 offence is indicative of the fact that any degree of physical contact is unacceptable,” Broad said while announcing the decision.
“I would have been obliged to impose a minimum penalty of a two-Test match ban. But in the view of the umpires, the facts of this case - the lightness of the physical conduct and the element of provocation - would not justify such a penalty,” he said.
- Gambhir banned for a Test, BCCI says he will appeal (Second Lead) - Oct 31, 2008
- Gambhir to appeal against his Test ban (Lead) - Oct 31, 2008
- Former cricketers justify Gambhir's ban - Oct 31, 2008
- Gambhir can still play in Nagpur Test - Nov 01, 2008
- McCullum reprimanded for dissent - Aug 26, 2012
- Justice Sachs appointed commissioner for Gambhir's appeal hearing (Lead) - Nov 01, 2008
- Gambhir's Test ban upheld; BCCI rejects decision (Lead) - Nov 04, 2008
- Watson fined, hearing on Gambhir adjourned - Oct 31, 2008
- West Indies arrive for series against India - Nov 03, 2011
- Raina fined for showing dissent - Jun 30, 2011
- Gambhir lashes out at Afridi - Jul 16, 2011
- Gambhir suspended for one Test match - Oct 31, 2008
- ICC Commissioner upholds Gambhir's ban, BCCI rejects decision - Nov 04, 2008
- Oz team angry over soft charge on Gambhir - Oct 31, 2008
- India look for series win and Tendulkar's 100th ton at Eden (Preview) - Nov 13, 2011