India Open Super Series: Sourabh upsets Sony Dwi KuncoroApril 27th, 2011 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 27 (IANS) Indian qualifier Sourabh Verma pulled off a big upset defeating Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia in the men’s singles first round of the India Open Super Series 2011 badminton here Wednesday.
Sourabh beat Sony 21-18, 21-19 in only 41 minutes to crush the seasoned Sony, a former World No.3 and a bronze medallist in Athens Olympics.
Sourabh, who won the All India Senior Ranking tournament held at Atul, Gujarat in February was understandably ecstatic.
“It is my biggest win. I was not intimidated by his stature. I just wanted to give my best. I am glad that I began with a victory,” said Sourabh.
The Madhya Pradesh boy is playing his first Super Series event and went past the qualifying stage Tuesday.
“I moved into Gopichand academy during the Commonwealth Games camp and decided to stay there,” said Sourabh.
Among other Indians, Ajay Jayram gave a tough fight to World No.1 and top seed Lee Chong Wei before going down 19-21, 18-21.
Anand Pawar gave a tough challenge to Japanese Sho Sasaki but lost 21-19, 17-21, 12-21.
Anup Sridhar lost to Taufiq Hidayat 13-21, 5-21.
In women’s singles, Aditi Mutatkar tamely lost to fourth-seeded Pui Yin Yip of Hong Kong 14-21, 8-21 and Trupti Murgune went down to Aprilla Yuswandari 12-21, 5-21.
In mixed doubles, Akshay Dewalkar and Pradnya Gadre beat Japanese Noriyasu Hirata and Miyuki Maeda 21-17, 21-17 while Tarun Konia and Ashwini Ponnapa went down to Malaysian Soon Chan Peng and Goh Liu Ying 21-23, 10-21.
The women’s doubles pair of Aparna Balan and Prajakta Sawant also lost to Hong Kong’s Kyung Eun Jung and Ha Na Kim 13-21, 9-21.
- India Open Super Series: Gurusai Datt pulls off second upset of day (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes shock first round exit (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh continues his giant-killing spree - Apr 28, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Saina out of Asian Championship, Indian campaign over - Apr 20, 2012
- Indian Open: Jayaram, Parupalli advance to second round - Apr 25, 2012
- Shuttlers Sindhu, Jayaram advance in Japan Open - Sep 19, 2012
- Saina, Kashyap, Sourabh advance to Thailand Open quarters - Jun 09, 2011
- Thailand Open: Saina crashes out; Kashyap, Sourabh also lose - Jun 10, 2011
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- Thailand Open: Four Indians, including Saina, in quarters (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Jayaram packs off World No. 9 at China Masters - Sep 12, 2012
- Thailand Open: Saina struggles to get past first round - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: anup, ashwini, athens olympics, balan, bronze medallist, commonwealth games, gopichand, hirata, konia, lee chong wei, liu ying, maeda, mixed doubles, miyuki, pawar, pradnya, sony 21, sony dwi kuncoro, tarun, trupti