India offers $5 million assistance to quake-hit ChinaMay 15th, 2008 - 6:47 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) India Thursday underlined its close ties with China and offered assistance worth $5 million to help victims of a massive earthquake that struck Sichuan province, killing over 15,000 people. “Keeping in view India’s close and good neighbourly ties with China, the government of India has decided to offer assistance of $5 million to China for its relief activities for the victims of the earthquake,” the external affairs ministry announced here.
“This amount would be utilized for relief material, including blankets, tents, sleeping bags, and medicines,” the ministry said.
President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Vice-President Mohammad Hamid Ansari and External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee have already sent messages of condolence to the government and people of China.
India’s offer of assistance came a couple of days after Beijing expressed its willingness to accept international aid to handle relief measures.
Early this week, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh wrote to his Chinese counterpart Wen Jiabao and expressed India’s grief with the quake-hit “brethren of China” and offered assistance to deal with the situation.
Besides India, the United Nations, the US, Australia, Japan, Britain and Belgium are among those that have offered help to China.
The quake, measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale, struck China’s south-western province of Sichuan Monday, killing over 15,000 people and rendering thousands homeless.
The survivors desperately need medical help, food and water, according to Xinhua news agency.
- China offers aid to quake- hit Japan - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan thanks India for woollen blankets - Mar 16, 2011
- China quake toll rises to 25 - Mar 11, 2011
- China quake kills 64, injures over 700 (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- India promises $1 million for Myanmar quake relief - Mar 29, 2011
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- India condoles Japan quake victims, 25,000 Indians safe - Mar 11, 2011
- All Indians in Japan safe: Krishna - Mar 14, 2011
- Turkey quake toll reaches 279 - Oct 25, 2011
- China quake: Toll rises to 80 (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- India offers help to quake-hit Myanmar - Mar 26, 2011
- China quake: Toll rises to 67; over 700 injured - Sep 08, 2012
- China quake toll mounts to 1,100, hopes for survivors fade - Apr 17, 2010
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 01, 2011
- China quake toll mounts to 1,484 - Apr 18, 2010