India offers $2 million aid to cold-hit TajikistanMarch 4th, 2008 - 9:01 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 4 (IANS) India Tuesday announced humanitarian aid worth $2 million to Tajikistan, a Central Asian country that has been reeling under its worst cold spell in half a century. “The government of India has decided to provide emergency humanitarian aid amounting to $2 million to Tajikistan, out of which $1 million will be cash assistance,” the external affairs ministry said in a statement.
“The government has also expressed solidarity with the government and people of Tajikistan in their rehabilitation and reconstruction efforts,” the ministry said.
India enjoys excellent relations with Tajikistan. India enhanced its stakes in the oil-rich Central Asian country by setting up a military base in the Tajik city Ayni - the country’s only overseas military facility - and is also involved with the training of military personnel in Tajik defence institutes.
To increase its engagement with Central Asia, India joined the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation - a six-nation regional grouping comprising Russia, China and Central Asian republics - as an observer three years ago.
- India courts Tajikistan to swing Afghan endgame - Aug 31, 2012
- India to gift e-network to Central Asia - Jun 10, 2012
- Krishna heads to Tajikistan to boost Central Asian ties - Jul 02, 2012
- Tajikistan asks Russia $250 mn in rent for base - Jul 12, 2012
- Shinde to represent India at SCO summit - Nov 23, 2010
- India lauds SCO's role in regional security - Nov 27, 2010
- Krishna to go to Tajikistan - Jun 26, 2012
- Krishna, in 'holding room', with Zardari at Beijing - Jun 06, 2012
- India eyes larger regional role with SCO membership - Jun 15, 2011
- Krishna goes to China for SCO summit - Jun 04, 2012
- (HOLD) Krishna leaves for SCO summit in China - Jun 05, 2012
- Pakistan to sign extradition treaty with Uzbekistan - Mar 25, 2011
- Pak wants US to expedite disbursement of pledged aid - Sep 18, 2010
- President Patil lauds Tajikistan's support in fight against terrorism - Sep 07, 2009
- India ups SCO sales pitch - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: 1 million, cash assistance, central asia, central asian country, central asian republics, china, cold spell, external affairs ministry, government of india, half a century, humanitarian aid, military base, military facility, military personnel, New Delhi, reconstruction efforts, regional grouping, russia, shanghai cooperation organisation, solidarity