India now has 858.4 million mobile phone subscribersSeptember 9th, 2011 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 9 (IANS) India now has 858.4 million mobile phone subscribers, with 6.67 million connections added in July, according to official data released Friday.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) said the wireless user base grew 0.78 percent, from 581.7 million in June.
Wireless subscription in urban areas increased from 562.12 million in June 2011 to 565.71 million at the end of July and rural subscription increased from 289.57 million to 292.65 million during the same period.
Overall teledensity in India reached 71.59.
However, of the total 858.4 million wireless subscribers in June, only 601.73 million were active subscribers on the date of peak visitor location register (VLR) - a temporary database of the subscribers who have roamed into the particular area which it serves.
Each base station in the network is served by exactly one VLR, hence a subscriber cannot be present in more than one VLR at a time.
The growth in this category was led by Anil Ambani-led Reliance Communications, which added 1.52 million users to take its subscriber base to 144.79 million users.
Bharti Airtel followed next with an addition of 1.5 million new subscribers, taking its subscriber base to 170.7 million.
Vodafone added 1.49 million subscribers to take its total number of customers to 143 million, while state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited added 1.42 million subscribers to take its total subscribers base to 95.15 million subscribers.
Uninor added 1.1 million subscribers to have 27.39 million subscribers while Idea Cellular added 1 million subscribers increasing its subscribers count to have 96.1 million.
According to the data, the broadband subscriber base grew 1.46 percent from 12.32 million in June 2011 to 12.5 million in July 2011.
However, the wireline segment declined marginally from 34.29 million in June to 34.18 million at the end of July.
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 865.7 mn - Oct 20, 2011
- Tata Teleservices loses 4.4 mn subscribers in November - Jan 09, 2012
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 840 mn - Jul 07, 2011
- India now has 851.7 mn mobile phones - Aug 08, 2011
- Actual tele-density is 41 not 66 percent: Study - May 03, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 893.84 mn - Jan 30, 2012
- Uninor leads India to 903.73 mn mobile subscribers - Mar 06, 2012
- India now has 811.59 mn mobile phone subscribers (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 811.59 million - Apr 29, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 919.17 million in March - May 03, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 791.38 million - Apr 07, 2011
- India's mobile subscribers at 771.18 million - Mar 04, 2011
- Indian telecom sector received Rs.48,220 crore FDI - Oct 19, 2011
- India adds 8.58 million GSM subscribers in June - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: 1 million, 5 million, airtel, ambani, idea cellular, million subscribers, mobile phone subscribers, New Delhi, peak visitor, reliance, sanchar nigam limited, subscriber base, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, teledensity in india, trai, urban areas, visitor location, vodafone, wireless subscribers