India not setting up more NSG hubsMarch 7th, 2010 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 7 (IANS) After having set up National Security Guard (NSG) hubs, one each in four metros, the government has no plans to establish more centres of the elite counter-terrorism force in the country, according to the home ministry.
“The government has established four NSG hubs, one each in Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai. There is no plan to set up NSG hubs in all states,” Minister of State for Home Affairs Ajay Maken told the Rajya Sabha last week.
Maken said the government was reviewing internal security regularly and based on such a review strengthening its national security apparatus.
“The government has sanctioned two commando companies in each India Reserve Battalion of state governments and has given additional assistance of Rs.3 crore per commando company,” he said in a written reply to a question about NSG hubs.
The NSG is a special response unit for counter-terrorism activities. It was created in 1986. Its recruitment is done from the central paramilitary forces and the Indian armed forces.
Working under the home ministry, the NSG’s roles include protecting the VIPs, conducting anti-sabotage checks, rescuing hostages, neutralising terrorist threats to vital installations, engaging terrorists and responding to hijacking and piracy.
The highlight of the NSG’s operations so far has been eliminating terrorists and rescuing hostages in the Nov 26, 2008, Mumbai attacks after 10 Pakistani militants launched multiple attacks across the city. Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan and Hawaldar Gajender Singh Bisht of the group lost their lives during the operations.
–Indo-Asian New Service
- Chidambaram inaugurates NSG hub in Mumbai - Feb 23, 2012
- Andhra anti-terror force Octopus gets its headquarters - Aug 13, 2012
- Chidambaram promises better weapons as NSG celebrates silver jubilee - Oct 16, 2009
- NSG regional hub inaugurated in Hyderabad - Dec 06, 2011
- Hang Kasab now, says slain commando's father - May 06, 2010
- Super Black Cat commandos by 2015: NSG chief - Oct 16, 2011
- NSG gets land outside Kolkata for eastern hub - Sep 17, 2011
- Chidambaram opens NSG hub, Mamata skips event - Feb 18, 2012
- New weapons, better preparedness since 26/11: NSG chief (One Year after 26/11) - Nov 13, 2009
- Media must exercise control during terror attacks: NSG chief (Interview) - Nov 24, 2009
- Tripura also opposes anti-terror hub - Feb 18, 2012
- No commemorative event by NSG on 26/11 - Nov 24, 2009
- Chandigarh police to increase quick reaction team's strength - Jun 27, 2010
- 26/11 martyr's widow ready to send her sons to join armed forces - Nov 25, 2009
- NSG's Kolkata hub to serve east, northeast: Chidambaram - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: ajay maken, bisht, counter terrorism, crore, home affairs, home ministry, indian armed forces, internal security, minister of state, nsg, paramilitary forces, rajya sabha, reserve battalion, response unit, sandeep, security apparatus, state governments, terrorist threats, unnikrishnan, vips