India, Myanmar forge think-tanks’ linksMay 28th, 2012 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Nay Pyi Taw, May 28 (IANS) With Myanmar opening up to democratic transformation, India and the Southeast Asian state Monday decided to forge links between their think-tanks.
The need for building academic linkages was underscored in two pacts signed after wide-ranging talks between the leaders of the two countries in the Myanmarese capital.
A memorandum of understanding on cooperation between the Myanmar Institute of Strategic and International Studies and the Indian Council of World Affairs and another MoU to establish linakges between the Myanmar Institute of Strategic and International Studies and the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses were among a dozen pacts that were signed.
“The two leaders also welcomed the formalization of contacts between Indian and Myanmar think tanks and academic institutions and urged scholars to participate actively and exchange views in academic events being held in either country,” a joint statement said.
The academic and scholarly links will go a long way in bridging the knowledge gap between India, the world’s largest democracy, and Myanmar, which has shed decades of isolation to embrace democratic reforms in an incremental fashion.
- Doing trade, driving down to Myanmar just got easier - May 30, 2012
- India, Myanmar ink a dozen agreements (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Ahead of PM's visit India-Myanmar bus cleared - May 24, 2012
- Manmohan, Thein Sein embark on 'new journey' (Third Lead) - May 28, 2012
- PM's Myanmar agenda: Imphal-Mandalay bus link, trade (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Myanmar, Voice of America ink pact - Jun 06, 2012
- Krishna lands in Myanmar capital - Jun 21, 2011
- Myanmar, India to speed up renovation of Arnanda Pagoda - Apr 27, 2011
- India, Myanmar sign MoU on border security cooperation - Jan 22, 2012
- Japan to provide aid to Myanmar - May 31, 2012
- Myanmar: a nation on cusp of change (Myanmar Newsletter) - Jun 26, 2011
- India, Myanmar ink 12 agreements - May 28, 2012
- Zardari visits Myanmar - Jan 25, 2012
- India, Myanmar to be better connected, have more trade (Fourth Lead) - May 28, 2012
- India rolls out red carpet for Myanmar military chief - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: academic events, academic institutions, academic linkages, defence studies, democracy, democratic reforms, democratic transformation, exchange views, formalization, gap, incremental fashion, isolation, knowledge gap, memorandum of understanding, mou, myanmar, pacts, southeast asian state, think tanks, world affairs