India must let Chisty, Pakistani fishermen return: ActivistsApril 13th, 2012 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 13 (IANS) A group of activists working to improve India-Pakistan relations Friday appealed to the Indian government to let Pakistani doctor Mohammad Khalil Chisty return home and release many fishermen held in India.
The group welcomed the decision of the Pakistani government to release 26 Indian fishermen, including a cancer patient, from a jail in Karachi on humanitarian grounds and asked India to reciprocate the gesture.
“Sending Dr. Khalil Chisty and Pakistani fishermen back home will be a major confidence building measure. It will help in creating a conducive atmosphere in taking forward the peace process,” said Jatin Desai, a member of the group.
The Supreme Court had Monday granted bail to Chisty, who is undergoing life imprisonment in a jail in Ajmer for involvement in a clash that resulted in the death of a person.
Chisty, 80, was a virologist at the Karachi Medical College. He is accused of killing a man during a brawl in April 1992 in Ajmer. He was in the city to offer prayers at the famous dargah (shrine) of Sufi saint Hazrat Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti when the incident happened.
He is currently staying at his brother’s house in Ajmer.
The activist group also appealed to both the governments to release and return all confiscated boats of fishermen.
“These boats are owned by the fishermen and it is the only source of income for them. Their livelihood depends on the boats. Around 700 Indian confiscated boats are lying in and around Karachi and more than 150 Pakistani boats are lying in India,” Desai said.
The group of activists consists of journalists, lawyers, actors and filmmakers from across India.
- Send Chisty to Pakistan, Zardari tells Manmohan - Apr 14, 2012
- SC grants bail to Pakistani doctor Chisty - Apr 09, 2012
- Khalil Chisti's release to take a few days - Apr 09, 2012
- Bail to Chisty comes at a significant time, says nephew - Apr 09, 2012
- Pakistan hails Indian bail to doctor - Apr 09, 2012
- Pakistani prisoner Khalil Chisti steps out of jail - Apr 11, 2012
- Apex court grants bail to Chisti, appreciates India-Pakistan bonhomie (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Pakistani prisoner may be released - Jul 27, 2011
- Pakistani prisoner, 80, moves closer to release - Aug 05, 2011
- Home ministry looking into Pakistani prisoner in Ajmer: PM - Aug 11, 2011
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
- India asks Pakistan to release Sarabjit - Aug 11, 2011
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Release Indian and Pakistani fishermen, say activists - Jul 02, 2012
- Zardari sending plane to fly Chisty home - May 15, 2012