India monitoring Libya situation, offers assistanceAugust 23rd, 2011 - 11:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) With rebels advancing to take control of Tripoli, India Tuesday said the situation in the North African country should “be normalized by the people of Libya themselves in a peaceful manner” and underlined that it was ready to offer assistance for reconstruction.
“We are closely monitoring the developments in Libya,” the external affairs ministry said in a statement here.
“There are indications that the situation in Libya is changing and the recent events in Tripoli indicate that the Transitional National Council is acquiring effective control,” the ministry said.
Stressing the need to respect sovereignty, integrity and unity of Libya, New Delhi said that the situation in the country “should be normalized by the people of Libya themselves in a peaceful manner adhering to democratic norms and with respect for aspirations of the people”.
“India stands ready to extend all possible assistance for reconstruction and rehabilitation to the friendly people of Libya and wishes them peace, stability and prosperity,” the ministry said.
Libyan rebels are reported to have entered Muammar Gaddafi’s house after breaking into his Bab al-Aziziya compound in Tripoli Tuesday, al-Jazeera television reported. Rebels were seen firing in the air in celebration.
According to the Pentagon, the Libyan rebels were in control of a majority of Tripoli.
- Gaddafi's daughter denies fleeing her country - Feb 25, 2011
- Nicaragua ready to shelter Gaddafi - Aug 24, 2011
- Libyan rebels to move headquarters to Tripoli - Aug 24, 2011
- Turmoil rages in Libya, UN slaps sanctions (Roundup) - Feb 27, 2011
- Gaddafi vows to fight till death - Jun 08, 2011
- Libyan rebels warn of a 'fight till death' with Gaddafi's loyalists - Mar 14, 2011
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- Gaddafi wandered Tripoli streets in disguise - Aug 24, 2011
- Gaddafi appears in public, vows to fight on - Mar 23, 2011
- Libyan rebels search for Gaddafi (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Muammar Gaddafi buried at secret location in desert - Oct 25, 2011
- Libyan rebels ready to approach UN for Western air strikes - Mar 02, 2011
- Gaddafi forces carry on shelling rebels in Misrata - Apr 04, 2011
- Libyan diplomat to China quits - Feb 21, 2011
- Libyan minister resigns over crackdown on protesters - Feb 21, 2011