India may lower negative list for BangladeshJanuary 30th, 2009 - 4:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 30 (IANS) India is ready to look at lowering further the number of items in the negative list for trade with least developed countries (LDCs) such as Bangladesh, a senior commerce ministry official said here Friday. “We have already reduced the negative list from 765 to 480 items. We are ready to review this and bring it down further,” Rajiv Kher, joint secretary in the commerce ministry, said at a roundtable on India-Bangladesh trade and economic cooperation organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
Indicating that Bangladesh will have to improve its quality-testing infrastructure and physical connectivity, he said India was ready to reduce the negative list if it receives ‘positive response’ from its neighbour.
Kher said India had agreed to import eight million garment articles, duty-free, from Bangladesh but has so far received only 3.7 million pieces.
“We expect that with a slowdown in the US and European economies, this quota will be fully utilised and we may think about enlarging it further,” Kher said.
Bilateral trade between India and Bangladesh stood at $3.6 billion in 2007-08, with India being the largest trade partner of Bangladesh.
- India assures greater market access to SAARC countries - Feb 16, 2012
- Bangladesh's exports to India to double by June - Feb 20, 2012
- Indian tariff reduction for least developed African nations - Oct 19, 2010
- India-Bangla trade must grow faster, says Pranab - Jan 22, 2012
- India to be more liberal to boost trade, solve water issue: Hasina - Jan 11, 2012
- Indo-Bangla chamber seeks land for Indian SEZ - May 08, 2011
- India, Bangladesh start joint study to boost border trade - Jun 09, 2012
- Exports to India can be doubled: Bangladesh - Sep 07, 2011
- Pakistan moves for 'negative list' trade regime with India - Oct 05, 2011
- Pranab goes to Dhaka Feb 9, counter-terror high on agenda - Jan 30, 2009
- India, Pakistan to soon ink customs cooperation deal - Sep 04, 2012
- Bangladesh criticizes India's ban on cotton export - Mar 08, 2012
- Pakistan defers MFN status to India - Feb 14, 2012
- India, Pakistan agree to ease trade, visa norms - Feb 15, 2012
- Bangladesh minister in India to boost trade with northeast - Nov 10, 2010