India makes public safeguards agreement circulated to IAEAJuly 10th, 2008 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 10 (IANS) India Thursday made public the text of its safeguards pact that was circulated among the members of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) secretariat, which will approve the India-US civilian nuclear deal. The 25-page draft of India’s text on application of safeguards to civilian nuclear facilities that was given to the IAEA board of governors was put up on the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) website.
A day earlier, the IAEA said in a press release issued at the agency headquarters in Vienna that board chairman Muhammad ElBaradei would consult with board members to agree on a date for a meeting when the agreement would be considered.
The draft India-specific nuclear safeguards accord was circulated to the nuclear watchdog’s board of governors for approval following a “request” from the Indian government, said the release.
The safeguards pact is the next step in the operationalisation of the Indo-US civilian nuclear deal. It was sent to the 35-nation board on a day when the Left parties formally withdrew support from the United Progressive Alliance government.
“At the request of the government of India, the IAEA Secretariat today (Wednesday) circulated to members of the IAEA board of governors for their consideration the draft of an ‘Agreement with the Government of India for the Application of Safeguards to Civilian Nuclear Facilities’,” IAEA spokeswoman Melissa Fleming said.
“The chairman of the board is consulting with board members to agree on a date for a board meeting when the agreement would be considered,” she added.
In the nuclear agreement, India had classified 14 of its 22 atomic reactors as civilian, which will be covered under the IAEA safeguards agreement.
India is expected to seek an early conclusion of the agreement with the IAEA in view of the US Congress’ desire to see progress on it before the senate approves a change of law to allow nuclear trade with New Delhi.
The IAEA serves as the world’s foremost intergovernmental forum for scientific and technical co-operation in the peaceful uses of nuclear technology.
- India signs safeguards agreement with IAEA - Feb 02, 2009
- El-Baradei was 'too soft on Tehran', says WikiLeaks cable - Feb 10, 2011
- Egypt crisis: US sizing up ex-IAEA chief El-Baradei - Feb 01, 2011
- India-US nuclear deal was win-win: ElBaradei - Mar 19, 2011
- US certifies India-IAEA Safeguards Agreement on civil n-facilities - Feb 04, 2010
- Pakistan keeps IAEA guessing ahead of board meeting - Jul 31, 2008
- India, IAEA sign safeguards accord (Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- Government of India unveils text of IAEA safeguards pact - Jul 10, 2008
- Careful note taken of IAEA resolution on Iran, say official sources - Nov 27, 2009
- India honours ElBaradei with Indira Gandhi Prize - Sep 30, 2009
- India to ink safeguards pact with IAEA - Feb 02, 2009
- Pressure mounts on Iran at ElBaradei's final IAEA board meeting (Lead) - Nov 26, 2009
- More nuclear talks needed with Iran: IAEA - Oct 29, 2009
- Iran issue unsolved at ElBaradei's last IAEA board meeting - Nov 26, 2009
- Iran issues threats after IAEA resolution (Lead, changing dateline) - Nov 27, 2009