India junior hockey team’s Pakistan visit cancelledNovember 10th, 2008 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Nov 10 (IANS) India Monday cancelled its five-match junior hockey series against Pakistan at the last moment citing security concerns, Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) president said.PHF chief Qasim Zia told reporters here that the series, scheduled to get underway in Karachi Tuesday, had to be scrapped after the Indian authorities refused to give clearance to the team.
“We are really disappointed at the cancellation as all the arrangements were made and everybody was eagerly looking forward to the series,” said Zia, a former Pakistan Olympian.
Pakistan and India had agreed to play the bilateral series in a bid to prepare their teams for the Junior World Cup to be played in Singapore and Malaysia in June.
The matches of the Nov 11-21 series were supposed to be played in Karachi, Rawalpindi, Faisalabad, Sialkot and Lahore.
Zia said the Indian colts reached Amritsar Monday to cross the Wagah border but were stopped by their authorities to cross the border.
“We feel let down by India,” said Zia, also a powerful politician of the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party and member of the Punjab Assembly.
But Zia was quick to add that he had no complaints with the Indian Hockey Federation. “The Indian federation did all it could to save the series but its hands were tied. It’s the Indian government that decided that the team should not go to Pakistan,” he said.
Zia said the PHF will now replace the series with two exhibition games to be played between Pakistan Juniors and Pakistan veterans under floodlights Nov 11 in Karachi and Nov 21 in Lahore.
- Pakistan delegation to visit India for hockey revival - Aug 28, 2012
- Pakistan hockey chief says keen on bilateral ties with India - Oct 11, 2011
- Shakeel Abbasi to lead Pakistan hockey team, Sohail Abbas back - Oct 11, 2011
- pakistan fines rebel hockey players, spares them ban - May 31, 2012
- PHF warns players to stay away from World Series Hockey - Nov 15, 2011
- Pakistan-bound junior hockey team stopped in Amritsar (Lead) - Nov 10, 2008
- PHF patron Malik to work for Indo-Pak hockey series resumption - Apr 20, 2011
- PHF to discuss Indo-Pak hockey series revival with Malik today - Apr 19, 2011
- Pakistan hopes to revive hockey ties with India - Apr 19, 2011
- Heuvel returns to Pak to coach hockey team till 2012 Olympics after contract revision - Feb 04, 2011
- Pakistan orders probe into hockey team's poor performance - Jun 06, 2012
- No green signal for Indian hockey team's tour to Pakistan - Apr 04, 2012
- Pakistan recall rebel hockey players for Euro tour - Jun 08, 2012
- Pakistan appoint Khwaja Junaid as hockey coach - Apr 16, 2010
- Pakistan confident of resuming international hockey during 2011 - Apr 27, 2011