India, Israel ink $1.4 bn anti-missile system dealMarch 27th, 2009 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 27 (IANS) India has signed a $1.4 billion deal with Israel for the supply of an anti-missile air defence system in what is the biggest defence deal between the two countries.
Under the deal signed Feb 27, Israel will develop and manufacture seaborne and shore-based systems against missile attacks on India, Israeli business daily Globes said.
Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd. (IAI) officially announced the deal only Thursday, more than a month after it was signed, because the company felt “early disclosure was liable to cause material difficulties in execution of the contract, and even result in its cancellation”, according to the daily.
According to IAI officials quoted by the daily, they felt that this risk would be substantially reduced once the advance payment was received.
Part of the payment will be made during the development period, and the balance during the 66-month delivery period, which is slated to begin 90 months from the date the advance payment is received, the daily said.
According to the contract, IAI has undertaken to procure military or aviation products and services from India and will invest in defence companies in India up to an amount equal to 30 percent of the contract.
Israel has emerged as one of the largest suppliers of military hardware to India. Over the years, India has deftly balanced its ties with Israel with its relations with Middle East nations.
- India signs 1.4 US million air defence deal with Israel - Mar 27, 2009
- Israel to test missile defence system - Mar 02, 2012
- Israel, Italy ink deal for military aircraft - Jul 20, 2012
- Israel to test next-generation missile defense system - Mar 02, 2012
- India and Israel in anti-terror front (Lead) - Dec 22, 2009
- New missiles for Mirage jets for $1.23 bn approved (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Russia threatens to stop missile defence cooperation with US - Oct 06, 2011
- Israel, US sign deal to develop Arrow 3 anti-missile system - Jul 26, 2010
- India, Israel discuss cooperation against terror - Dec 22, 2009
- Iran holds air defence drills - Jul 12, 2012
- NATO offers missile defence cooperation to India - Sep 04, 2011
- Israel bars AESA radar export to India - Jan 14, 2011
- US to give $680 mn for Israel's anti-missile system - May 14, 2012
- Russia warns NATO against missile defence buildup - Sep 01, 2011
- Blacklisted Israel Military Industries moves Delhi High Court - May 06, 2012